Frequently asked questions

Updated March 3, 2010

1. Do I need to take a placement test to get into a Spanish class?   

If you have studied Spanish, no matter how long ago, yes, you need to take the Spanish Placement test.  If you have never studied Spanish, you will not need to take the placement test, you would enroll into Spanish 101.  Please contact Becky Best at 337-6860 ( if you have any questions.

2.   What is the difference between Spanish 101 and Spanish 103?

Spanish 101 is for people who have never studied Spanish before, whereas 103 is for students who have had Spanish, but still need to start at the beginning. Both classes cover the same material: 101 meets 5 days a week, 103 meets 3 days a week.

 3.  What is the appropriate class to take after completing Spanish 102?

Spanish 201 (students who have completed 102, as well as students who have completed 104, go into 201)

4.   I missed the placement test during orientation. When can I take it again? 

We highly recommend taking the summer placement test for incoming freshmen or during orientation.  If you were not able to take it during these times, Please talk to Mrs. Becky Best at 337-6860 ( to arrange a time to take the test.  Tests are usually given on Tuesdays or Thursdays.

5.  I took the placement test, but feel I should be in a higher/lower level. Can I change to a higher/lower level?

If you feel you have not been placed properly in a Spanish class, you need to talk to your instructor about appropriate language placement. Your instructor can then recommend to the Chair that you be placed in a different class.

6.  My schedule has changed. Can I switch from one section of Spanish to another?

If there is room in the section you want to switch into, you may fill out an add/drop form. If there is not room, you may be put on a waitlist for the section you wish to be in. You could try sending an e-mail to the section you want to switch into, asking if anyone wants to switch with you.

7.  I would like to take Spanish in the summer. How do I go about getting the course approved, so I can continue in the next level when I get back in the fall?

You need to talk to Prof. Burgess (, who is the person in charge of all approvals of Spanish courses taken off-campus in non-affiliated programs.

8.  How many courses do I need to take for the minor? Are there any particular ones I need to take?

The minor consists of 6 courses 250 and above. Spanish 253-254 Intermediate Program courses count toward minor. Two courses must be taken at Gettysburg and must include Spanish 301.

9.  How many courses do I need to take for the major?

The major consists of 11 courses above 300, one semester abroad requirement. 5 classes must be taken at Gettysburg: Literature Track: 301, 345, 400 and two 350's. Linguistics Track: 301, 331, 400 and two 380's. For further information, please consult major requirements, on-line or in the department's Handbook for Majors.

11.  How many specific requirements can I fulfill for the major while I am abroad?

You can obtain 4 credits toward the Spanish major while you are abroad. In order to determine which courses fulfill specific requirements in the major, you need to consult with your advisor and the program consultant (see question # 12).

12.  I am interested in studying Spanish abroad. Whom do I speak to about that?

IUS, Seville (Intermediate & Advanced Programs) - Professor Paula Olinger (

Affiliated Program in Merida, Mexico - Prof. Kent Yager (

Affliliated Program in Cuernavaca, Mexico -Prof. Rolón (

Affiliated Programs in Argentina (Mendoza & Buenos Aires) - Prof. Alvaro Kaempfer (

Affiliated Programs through SIT - Prof. Alvaro Kaempfer (

For non-affiliated programs, please visit the Off-Campus Studies office (

13.  How many courses taken abroad count toward the major? The minor?

You can get four credits toward the major and three toward the minor, but the courses need to be pre-approved by the program representative (see question # 12).

14.  I am an education minor, and need to do my student-teaching the spring semester of my senior year, when the senior seminar for my Spanish major meets. What should I do?

Talk to your advisor about how to make arrangements to take the equivalent of your senior seminar during the fall semester of your senior year.

15How can I become a Spanish tutor?

In order to become a tutor, you need to have a recommendation from a professor in the Spanish department, and speak to Mrs. Best, the Administrative Assistant, at 337-6860 ( Generally tutors are selected during the spring semester for the following academic year.

16.  Do any of the Spanish classes fulfill other curricular goals?

Yes! Currently Spanish 203, 307 and 310 fulfill the diversity requirement and Spanish 345 fulfills the humanities requirement. In addition, many first year seminars offered by Spanish department faculty fulfill other requirements. Check the registrar's webpage for updates.

17.  Can I fulfill other requirements while studying Spanish abroad?

Yes. Students often use at least one credit to fulfill another requirement. Check with the departments in question to see if they have approved any of the courses.