A Long Weekend Escape to Reykjavik
November 4 – 8, 2021
What could be more fun than traveling with alumni, family and friends of Gettysburg College - along with a G-burg Environmental Studies professor* -- for a Getaway to Iceland, a long weekend excursion to the city of Reykjavik?
From steamy hot springs to top-notch spas, magnificent malls to art museums, this unique land is the perfect place to relax, recharge, and explore. Legends say that the ancient gods themselves guided Iceland’s first settler, Ingolfur Arnarson, to make his home in Reykjavik (“Smoky Bay”), named after the geothermal steam he saw. Today this geothermal energy heats homes and outdoor swimming pools throughout the city – a pollution-free energy source that leaves the air outstandingly fresh, clean and clear. On our arrival day, local expert and guide Svanur Thorkelsson will give us a presentation on the aurora and then that evening we’ll head out to try and see the real thing (weather permitting). If we don’t succeed we’ll try again the next night and the next.
Cost and Program Inclusions
Cost (per person, double occupancy)
- JFK departure: $2,999
- Washington DC departure: $3,099
- Land Only: $2,299
- Single supplement: $490
Prices are available from many other departure cities.
- Airfare: Round trip airfare from Washington DC or New York, including all customs fees and airport taxes.
- Hotels: 3 nights’ accommodation in a 4-star hotel. All hotel taxes and service charges included.
- Transportation: All ground transportation as detailed in the itinerary.
- Meals: 4 breakfasts, 1 lunch and 2 dinners.
- Guides: Services of a local tour guide throughout the tour.
- Entrances: Entrance fees to all sites as detailed in the itinerary
*Gettysburg College Environmental Studies professor Sarah Principato, who has done extensive research in Iceland, will lead several discussions during the excursion (assuming the minimum number of travelers is reached).