Gettysburg College welcomes the participation of people with disabilities. Please note that there is some distance between the various Commencement venues. While we provide accessible parking and shuttle services, some walking is still necessary, so we encourage guests with mobility disabilities to bring personal mobility aids.
If you plan to attend Commencement Weekend activities and need accommodation, please contact the Office of Human Resources between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. at 717-337-6207 or the Department of Public Safety after hours at 717-337-6912. In order to better meet the needs of guests with disabilities or special needs, Gettysburg College will provide special seating, CART service, accessible parking, and shuttle service during key Commencement Weekend events. Ushers and other College staff are on duty at all functions throughout the weekend. Please do not hesitate to ask for any assistance you may need. Ushers and College staff can be identified by name tags with orange ribbons.
- To arrange for accessible parking, please call the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 717-337-6912. They will need the following information to process your request: name of person needing parking accommodations, make/model/color of car, license plate # (including state), days parking needed (Sat. and/or Sun.), needs (parking or drop-off). Please make these arrangements by Friday, May 11, 2018:
- Spring Honors Day and Baccalaureate (Saturday)
- Call DPS by Friday, May 11, 2018 to arrange reserved accessible parking that is close to the Chapel. The wheelchair lift is located on the side of the Chapel, and an officer will be on hand to operate the lift. Once inside, wheelchair spaces will be available in the Chapel near the front with one companion seat, and ushers will be available to help. Other members of larger parties may find seating in the Chapel or in campus video viewing locations (Baccalaureate only). Accessible restroom facilities are available on the main floor of the Chapel near the wheelchair lift entrance.
- Senior Class Graduation Party (Saturday evening)
- Accessibility parking and drop off will be available along West Lincoln Avenue as well as in campus parking lots. The accessible entrance is via the ramp on the West Lincoln Avenue side of the building. Restroom facilities are available on each floor of the CUB.
- Commencement (Sunday)
- Call DPS by Friday, May 11, 2018 to arrange for parking in Masters Lot. Shuttle service will be available to transport your party between Masters Lot and the Commencement site if needed. Two shuttles (one of which is accessible) will be running from 8:45 - 11:00 a.m. and for one hour at end of ceremony (from approximately 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.) When you reach the ceremony site, ushers with orange ribbons will be available to assist you with finding seating. Wheelchair spaces with companion seating are dispersed throughout the Commencement site’s general seating area. During Commencement, accessible restrooms are available in campus buildings including Weidensall Hall, Glatfelter Hall, Science Center, Plank Gym, Breidenbaugh Hall, Masters Hall and Pennsylvania Hall (please use the elevator to Floor 3.) Additionally, ADA compliant outdoor portable restrooms will be available adjacent to the Commencement site for guests with limited mobility (they will be located along the sidewalk at the east end of Musselman Library, near Weidensall Hall.)
Campus Map (PDF)
- Internet-based CART (Communication Access Realtime Translation) service will be available at the Spring Honors, Baccalaureate, and Commencement ceremonies. This service will allow anyone to see the closed-caption transcription in real time on any wireless device that can access the Internet. The URL for accessing this service will be posted on the Commencement web page prior to the start of Commencement weekend.
If you wish to borrow an iPad to view the CART closed-captioning, please contact Human Resources at 717-337-6207 by Friday, May 11, 2018 to reserve one. A limited number of extra iPads will also be available at the ceremonies. Please contact an usher to pick up a reserved iPad or if you wish to borrow one. Ushers can also help if you have difficulty accessing the CART link.
- Written translations of portions of the Commencement program and script will be made available to guests upon request. Please contact Katie Barako, Commencement Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, 717-337-6012 by Friday, May 12, 2018 to request a specific language.Copies will be available from the ushers at the Commencement entry gate that is on the east end of Pennsylvania Hall and closest to the band tent.
- The Commencement ceremony will be held outdoors, rain or shine. For guest comfort, indoor video-viewing locations will be available in several campus locations. Ushers will help you find these locations. Guests are encouraged to bring along any items for your comfort or convenience (rain gear, warm clothing, water, seat cushions, snacks, wheelchairs, etc.). See Commencement Tips
- The Baccalaureate and Commencement exercises will be streamed live on the web for any guests who are unable to attend. The link will be added one week prior to Commencement Weekend.
- The following local businesses may be contacted directly if you need to arrange for personal wheelchair rental:
Dick’s Homecare, Inc.
238 West Street
Gettysburg, PA 17325
Guests are encouraged to make arrangements by Wednesday, May 9.
Cost is $65 for the weekend; rental wheelchairs may be picked up from and returned to the Department of Public Safety (DPS) on West Stevens Street
Gettysburg Rental Center
720 York Road
Gettysburg, PA 17325
Quantities are limited.
Wheelchairs are available for $12 a day and can be picked up M-F 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and Saturday 8:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. at Gettysburg Rental Center, or can be delivered to campus or a hotel for $50.
- The following local business may be contacted directly if you need to arrange for personal electric scooter rental:
Electric 3-wheeled scooters are available to rent for $50 per 24-hour period, and may be picked up from the Department of Public Safety (DPS) on West Stevens Street
- If you or your guests need additional assistance or have needs that require specialized accommodation, please call Human Resources at 717-337- 6207 by Friday, May 11, 2018.