The Commencement pages are updated frequently - please revisit often for the latest information.
- Visit the Information for Families & Guests page for further helpful info.
- Don’t forget to check out the Commencement Prep Day page to make sure you have everything you need for the big day!
- Commencement Student Speaker: Nominations are currently being accepted. Information on the process is available here. The deadline for nominations is Friday, February 20.
Yearbook Orders: There are three ways to order your yearbook -
Online: Visit www.balfour.com, select your school, and follow the ordering instructions.
Mail: Just fill out the form and mail payment to:
PO Box 650549
Dallas, TX 75265
Phone: To order by phone, please call 1-800-853-1337.
- Social Media: #gburg2015
Want to send congrats to your classmates? Have a great photo of your cap & gown, ready to go? Share your Commencement moments, photos & memories on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram: #gburg2015
- Stay connected & involved after Commencement:
- Find ways to connect, explore, volunteer and give.
- Check out Career Services for Alumni.
- Keep up with other young alumni via Burgians of the Last Decade (BOLD).
Caps and Gowns
Since Baccalaureate and Commencement events are formal, academic attire is required. Students are responsible for ordering and purchasing regalia through the College Bookstore's website. Click on Graduation then on Student Regalia. Their regalia package will include a black gown, cap & tassel as well as an academic hood with the appropriate degree colors. In addition, they will also receive a Stole of Gratitude (see details below).
Stoles of Gratitude
The Stole of Gratitude is in part a gift from the Gettysburg College Alumni Association and the Class. Graduates will wear the stoles throughout the Commencement Exercises as a symbol of their appreciation for all of the individuals whose support was instrumental in bringing them to this day. At the reception following Commencement, graduates may present the stole to someone to demonstrate their gratitude for that individual's role in their success.
After Senior Week, please check your campus email if you think you have earned an honor cord (summa, magna or cum laude). Notification will be sent via email on the Friday before Commencement, and honor cords will be distributed on Commencement morning in Bream Gym during line-up. If your academic department gives departmental honor cords, they will be distributed at the Departmental Receptions on Saturday afternoon or as directed by each academic department administrator.
All ceremonies will start promptly. Please be at the appointed place in good time. If for any reason the planned procedure is interrupted, look to the president, college marshal, the dean or the student marshals for direction.
With courtesy and respect to all graduates and families, please refrain from disrupting the weekend’s formal ceremonies with the use of noisemakers (such as air horns, cowbells and bullhorns), shouting or chanting, and high-volume mobile phone ringtones and conversations.
Since Baccalaureate and Commencement events are formal, academic attire (i.e. "cap & gown") is required. Casual attire is not appropriate dress for Baccalaureate or Commencement. Sensible shoes are recommended as high heels may sink into the grass during outdoor events.
Smoking and Alcohol
Smoking is not permitted once you have entered the academic procession. Please remember that no alcohol is allowed at the graduation site.
You will receive more detailed instructions for Commencement during the line-up in Bream Gym:
- Please arrive at Bream Gym NO LATER than 9:45 a.m. on Commencement morning (Sunday, May 17, 2015) in your regalia (cap, gown & stole). Check in at the registration tables at the entrance for seating instructions (and to pick up an honor cord if applicable). Please go immediately to your seat after check-in. You will be given instructions on how everything works when you arrive.
- No food or drinks will be permitted in Bream Gym.
- Please plan to use the restrooms before entering Bream Gym. Once you are inside, you must remain inside.
- Remember to take ALL belongings with you when you leave Bream Gym in the Commencement procession.
- More ceremony information.
Commencement takes place at the Beachem Portico, North side of Pennsylvania Hall rain or shine.
- Sometimes it rains on Commencement and we need to be prepared. This means providing ponchos for graduates and faculty, and advising guests to be prepared with rain gear and warm clothing. If it is raining, Commencement will continue outdoors as planned. It is possible that Commencement might be delayed due to dangerous weather. If so, notification will be provided as follows:
- A message will be posted on the College phone number 717.337.6896.
- A message will be posted on the College's home page as first news item and to Facebook and Twitter.
- An all-campus email will be sent.
- An all-campus voice mail message will be sent to College phones.
- Dangerous weather is defined as lightning and strong winds. Rain alone does not constitute dangerous weather, only inconvenient weather. Should the weather turn dangerous once the ceremony has begun, an emergency weather plan will be put into place. All degrees will be conferred, and graduates will receive instructions regarding diploma pick up. Ushers and DPS officers will be on duty to answer questions and direct attendees into campus buildings.
- Please see the Commencement homepage for weather-related site change information for other events (Baccalaureate line-up, Departmental Receptions, etc.)
- See the Commencement Tips page for tips on how to be prepared for any weather.
- Local weather forecast.