Tips for getting the most out of Family Weekend (and, frankly, any visit to Gettysburg College)
Created by the Family Weekend Advisory Council
Did you know that you can ride the Freedom Transit Trolley for free with a Gettysburg College/Gettysburg the Town Discount ID card? To request a Discount ID card, email email@example.com.
Check out the Freedom Transit Trolley website for route maps and schedules. You can park at your hotel or at the conveniently located parking garage downtown (behind The Gettysburg Hotel). Catch the trolley at the new Gettysburg Transit Center, located across from Subway at 103 Carlisle Street. The Gray Line travels to Gettysburg College.
Be aware that parking on campus is limited. We have found that the Gettysburg Borough police will ticket cars on borough streets when meters or the allotted time to park expire.
Events on Campus
Now that you’ve left your car at your hotel and ridden the free trolley to campus, you will want to make the most of your time at the College. We know that Family Weekend visitors come with a variety of plans and interests, so here are our best recommendations (but be sure to check the full schedule for all options).
Visit Registration early!
If you can, try to visit Registration as early as possible, especially on Saturday morning, to avoid a crowd. Please note that Registration closes at 6 p.m. on Friday and noon on Saturday.
Not to be missed . . . see full Family Weekend schedule for details.
- Family College
- Fall Honors Day (particularly if your student is receiving an award!)
- Jazz Ensemble Concert
- Family Weekend Welcome Session with President Riggs
- Global Study, Academic Advising, and Career Development Sessions
- All Campus Lunch (convenient, delicious, and free with Family Weekend registration)
- Football Game and Bullets Marching Band Pregame and Half-Time Shows
- Gettysburg College Civil War Tour
- Student Showcase and other Saturday night entertainment options
- Gettysburg College Civil War Tour (if you missed it on Saturday!)
Getting Off Campus
Of course, your student may be itching to get off campus for a while, and Family Weekend is the perfect time to explore the town of Gettysburg and beyond. Here are our faves.
Within walking distance
- Lincoln Diner, 32 Carlisle Street
- The Ragged Edge Coffee House, 110 Chambersburg Street
- Local shopping along Chambersburg, York, and Baltimore Streets
- Wine tasting at Adams County Winery, 25 Chambersburg Street
- David Wills House (on the square)
- The Ugly Mug, 168 Carlisle Street
Within a few minutes’ drive of campus
- National Military Park Visitor Center
- Car tour with CD—We especially recommend A Battlefield Driving Tour CD & 56-Page Guidebook. Written and narrated by Wayne Motts, one of the most popular licensed battlefield guides in the entire Park system, this tour is now the top selling audio tour in the Gettysburg Visitor Center. www.travelbrains.com/destinations/gettysburg/GettysburgFld.html
- Family friendly
- Can do in sections
- Battlefield Bus Tour
- Good for those who prefer not to walk
- Eisenhower Farm
- Great for everyone but also includes a Junior Ranger program
- Appalachian Brewing Company (ABC)
- Horseback riding on the Battlefield
A bit farther afield
- Orchard visits
- Historic Round Barn and Farm Market, 298 Cashtown Road, off Route 30 west of Gettysburg
- Hauser Estate Winery, 410 Cashtown Road, off Route 30 west of Gettysburg
- Hiking trails
- Appalachian Trail, crosses Route 30 near Caledonia State Park about 10 miles west of Gettysburg
- Cunningham Falls State Park (MD)
Have your own ideas?
Please send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org! Thank you!