About the Collection
The Stuckenberg Map Collection consists of three 17th century atlases and over 500 map sheets from the 16th through the 19th century. A few of the cartographers represented are: Willem Janszoon Blaeu (1571-1638), Matthaus Seutter (1678-1756), and Tobias Conrad Lotter (1717-1777).
The original maps are housed in Special Collections at Musselman Library and are a popular teaching tool for students of history and other disciplines.
John H. W. Stuckenberg (1835-1903)
Stuckenberg was an Army chaplain in the 145th Pennsylvania volunteers in the Civil War. He held several pastorates before becoming a theology professor at his alma mater, Wittenberg College. A native of Germany, Stuckenberg had a lifelong interest in maps and, on one of his visits to his homeland, purchased the majority of his collection.
Over the years, he and his wife, Mary, became increasingly interested in Gettysburg College (then Pennsylvania College). They not only bequeathed the map collection, but also over 3,000 books, and a desk, secretaire, personal items and maps that once belonged to founder of modern geography, Alexander Von Humboldt. The Stuckenbergs are interred at the Gettysburg National Cemetery.
Want to know more?
Suggest an artiFACT: firstname.lastname@example.org
Curated by Musselman Library