Harner Room, 3rd Floor, Musselman Library
The post-mount, steel-alloy bell located in the Rev. J. Wilson Harner '37 Study Room on the library’s third floor is a pristine example of a bell once common in rural Pennsylvania. Manufactured by the Hillsboro, Ohio, firm of C. S. Bell, probably between 1875 and 1882, the bell weighs between 150 and 200 pounds. It is 17 inches in diameter and 13 inches high.
This model was most often used on farms as dinner bells, and in public squares as alert signals for fire departments. This one came to the library through the estate of Homer T. Rosenberger (1908-82), a government official and longtime member of the college’s Board of Trustees, who hung the bell outside his home in Waynesboro, PA.
Proceeds from the Rosenberger estate also afforded the creation of the library’s Special Collections Reading Room, and his papers reside in our college archives. Now, the magnificent bell whose custodian he was adds to the historical ambience and interest of the library’s permanent displays.