Job Posting: Systems Librarian
Gettysburg College’s Musselman Library invites a user-oriented librarian to join us in building and customizing library technology services that support student learning and research. Our library is a dynamic organization where every staff member makes a difference. We serve a liberal arts community of 2,600 students.
The successful candidate will provide leadership and share responsibility for planning, implementing, and maintaining Library digital systems and services, as well as being a key technology liaison with the College’s Information Technology division. We expect the Systems Librarian to establish a vision and protocol for technology services, which includes training and continual incorporation of emerging technologies.
The Systems Librarian’s primary focus will include our integrated library system (Innovative Interfaces) and interlibrary loan system (ILLiad). We also require support for online course reserves and streaming video, authentication (EZ Proxy), Special Collections (CONTENTdm and Omeka), and institutional repository systems (Bepress Digital Commons).
Strong communication skills and a collegial work style are essential. Like all librarians, the Systems Librarian will participate in collection development, serve as liaison to one or more academic departments, participate in a weekly rotation on the reference desk, and serve on library and campus committees. The Systems Librarian will have access to continuing education opportunities and professional development funds. Participation in our information literacy program is welcome (but not required). This librarian reports to the Director of User Services.
- ALA-accredited master's degree in library or information science
- Work experience in an academic library
- Relevant work experience in systems administration OR library technical services OR interlibrary loan
- Working knowledge of an ILS (Innovative Interfaces preferred but not required)
- Ability to assimilate multiple perspectives and develop practical solutions that support library processes and services
- Enthusiasm and ability to learn new technological skills and tools and clearly communicate this knowledge to non-technical personnel
- Exposure to and interest in reference service
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to work flexibly and creatively in a demanding environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Effective communication, interpersonal, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with a liberal arts environment
- Familiarity with streaming media technologies
- Familiarity with resource sharing (ILLiad experience preferred)
- Some familiarity with one or more image-based or text-based digital repositories (CONTENTdm, DSpace, etc.) and best practices in digital projects
- Familiarity with MARC format and non-MARC metadata standards
Please visit our website to submit application materials through our on-line system: http://gettysburg.peopleadmin.com/postings/838
In letters of application, candidates should be sure to address how established and emerging technologies can best be harnessed in service of discovery and student learning in the context of a liberal arts college. Application materials must be received by February 28, 2014. Anticipated start date is on or after June 3, 2014.
The College assures equal employment opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, and disability. Gettysburg College is committed to creating a more diverse community; as part of that process, the College encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Salary is competitive. A liberal benefits package is available.