Gettysburg College Remote Computer Lab
The remote computer lab provides students and faculty access to a virtual computer lab that contains the same software and features as our physical public computer labs (which are currently closed). Any computer with an internet connection can access the remote lab environment. The first time you attempt to access the lab, you will need to install the virtual access application.
Installing the Remote Lab (Citrix Receiver) Application
- Close all applications except your browser. This won’t be necessary in subsequent uses of the remote lab, but makes the application installation process proceed more smoothly.
- Go to www.gettysburg.edu/remotelab and log in using your regular Gettysburg College login. This should prompt you to download the Citrix Receiver app. At this point, the process will vary depending on your browser, security settings, etc.:
- The installer may begin automatically. If so, proceed through the installer – accept the license agreement, do NOT select single sign on, and when it is finished, click finish (not the add account button).
- The installer may not begin automatically, but is in a pop up window either visible, or hiding behind your browser window. Find it and start the installation wizard and proceed through the installer as indicated in step 1.
- The installer downloads, but you need to find your downloads folder or downloads within your browser toolbar and double-click to initiate the installation wizard. Proceed with installation.
- It is also possible that the installer never appears and the download option doesn’t appear. If that happens, go to https://www.citrix.com/downloads/citrix-receiver/ and choose your download based on operating system. Proceed with the download and installation. Once installed, return to gettysburg.edu/remotelab and log in. The virtual computer may then launch automatically, or you may need to click on the remote lab icon.
- The installer may ask you to disable your virus protection. If so, do so but be sure to turn it back on when completed.
- Once you have logged into our lab, it may take a few minutes to open. The first time could take up to five minutes to fully open.
A video showing this process is available here. https://youtu.be/lCpgVnaIddY
Using the Remote Lab
After this initial installation, subsequent use only requires logging into www.gettysburg.edu/remotelab and clicking on the remote lab icon if it doesn’t launch automatically.
When in the remote lab environment, you will have access to the harddrive on the physical computer as well as any web-based cloud storage you have – including the college’s OneDrive that all students, faculty, and employees have access.
While you can save files to the virtual desktop or virtual C drive, these will disappear when you log out of the computer. Be sure to gather up any of these saved files after your session and save to your harddrive or cloud storage before logging out.
It is important that you log out of the remote lab when you are finished, to free up a seat for another person.