Return to residence
We will return to residence this fall for the 2020–2021 academic year.
In making our decision to reopen residentially, we led with two principles: a strong belief in the distinctive value of a residential liberal arts education and an unwavering commitment to making any return to our campus environment one that prioritizes the health and safety of our community.
Message from the President
“As you know, any return to our residential program will come with its share of challenges, and we will likely experience some bumps along the way. It will be new. It will be different. It will be memorable. But as a community, we are Better Together, and I know we will rally as Gettysburgians—just as we always do—and continue to do great work in the year ahead.”
We plan for a return to residence aware of the considerable uncertainty that surrounds the public health environment in which we operate and the evolution of the virus. We will continue to update and refine our plans as we prepare for the return of students in August and in response to changing circumstances. Please be assured that we are also working hard to ensure that we are able to pivot and adapt our plans if any changes become necessary.
Central to the success of our planning is a community-wide commitment to uphold health practices and guidelines. Learn more about our new community health guidelines and expectations.
- Will the College be residential or remote during the Fall 2020 semester?
- What are the tuition and fees for the 2020-2021 academic year?
- Why did the College increase its tuition and fees?
- Will in-person Commencement for the Class of 2020 still be held in October?
- When students and employees return to campus, what precautions will ensure health and safety?
- How accessible will COVID-19 testing be on campus?
- What will the College do if a student or employee tests positive for COVID-19, and will the community be notified?
- How is global study being affected by the fall 2020 decision and current COVID-19 situation?
- What is the current status of athletics and fall sports at Gettysburg College?
We anticipate sharing details about the following decision points in the time frame outlined below.
|On or before July 7|| • Fall athletics
• Additional information for students who are interested in commuting, taking a gap semester or a gap year, or learning remotely.
• Additional information about Commencement, Family Weekend, Send-Offs, and Homecoming
• Details about Move-In and Orientation
• Full academic calendar
• Employee return-to-work plan
|On or before July 20||• Updated course schedules|
|On or before August 5|| • Additional information about reimagined and new use of campus spaces
• Additional details about moving in safely and expectations upon a return
• Final housing plans
• Returning students’ financial aid awards (end of July)
As you prepare for a return to campus later this summer, please review these next steps:
- Review the revised 2020–2021 Academic Calendar and gap options.
- Understand the five adaptive health strategies the community will adopt.