A guide to COVID-19 alert levels for Fall 2021.
On this page:
Level 1: Baseline
Identified cases are rare and transmission controlled. Resources are ample and staff are adequate to respond to student needs.
Mitigation for Level 1
Gettysburg College is open with a gradual easing of risk mitigation strategies.
- Classes and work are in-person; high-risk employees can request accommodations
- Initial universal indoor masking; may relax per public health guidance and campus transmission rates
- Routine testing of unvaccinated individuals
- Contact tracing
- Positive cases required to quarantine at home (students who can not leave will be placed in on-campus isolation)
- Visitors are permitted on campus; visitors are prohibited from entering campus housing until universal masking period ends
- Events/gatherings can occur
Level 2: Moderate Alert
Increasing number of unvaccinated students test positive and/or the college is witnessing breakthrough cases of vaccinated students. Contact tracing suggests that exposures are confined to a small number of additional people. Effective contact tracing remains possible and there is confidence in the ability to contain, isolate, and remediate small flare-ups. Resources are adequate and replenishable; staff are able to meet the needs of students.
Mitigation for Level 2
Open with the potential to enact risk mitigation strategies such as:
- Classes remain in-person; some course sections may have increased reliance on remote instruction due to students and/or faculty in quarantine
- Enhanced cleaning protocols
- Expanded testing protocol
- Universal indoor masking
- Expand remote options for non-student facing operations
- Limits to events, gatherings, visitors, and travel
Level 3: High Alert
The number of positive tests and potential exposures is rising and confidence in the ability to accurately complete contact tracing is moderate. Quarantine and isolation capacity is decreasing. Resources begin to diminish, and critical areas need to arrange for contractual support.
Mitigation for Level 3
Select “Moderate” mitigation with the potential to enact additional strategies such as:
- Building access restrictions
- Campus-wide pause
- All classes/activities move to remote
- Grab and go dining only
- No travel/visitors
- Expand testing protocol
- Activate emergency operations team
Level 4: Very High Alert
Ongoing campus or community transmission is occurring at an accelerating rate. There is no realistic strategy to contain spread. Staff cannot exercise ethical care of community.
Mitigation for Level 4
- Only essential employees on campus
- Planned departure of students from campus with the exception of approved students (e.g. international, extenuating circumstances)
- All instruction online
Guiding Metrics may include:
- Campus positive test rate/number of close contacts
- Percentage of isolation/quarantine housing available
- Adams County transmission rate