Physical distancing, or social distancing, is essential to keep community members safe. However, we know that our residential environment thrives on social interactions. Even though our 2020-2021 campus experience will be different than what we’ve come to know, we will still have lasting and impactful social interactions.
COVID-19 spreads mainly among people who are in close contact (within about six feet) for more than a few minutes and are otherwise not wearing personal protective equipment, such as masks. Spread happens primarily when an infected person coughs, sneezes, sings, or talks, and droplets from their mouth or nose are launched into the air and land in the mouths or noses of people nearby. Everyone will be responsible for practicing physical distancing when they are in campus buildings, including common spaces in dorms, and when moving between buildings when campus is busy. To help ensure physical distancing and related health and safety measures:
- Every student and employee will be expected to wear a mask or face covering on campus when they are in campus buildings, including common spaces in dorms, or within six feet of another person.
- All academic spaces, meeting rooms, and public areas will be reconfigured to allow for appropriate physical distancing.
- Dining services will offer physically-distanced, on-premise dining, and will prepare more grab-and-go items.
- Different spaces on campus are being reimagined to create additional eating and studying areas.
- High-traffic buildings with access points and hallways that make it difficult to maintain physical distance will have established ingress and egress points. Hand sanitizing stations will be provided at building entrances. Signage and floor markings will be in different locations throughout campus that enforce safety measures and proper hygiene.
We intend to utilize local hotel space to better accommodate student housing and reduce the density of students in campus residence halls. Students will not need to participate in a new or additional housing selection process.