All students were required to review and agree to the following pledge in the fall regarding personal and public health practices, social events, and what to do if you experience symptoms of COVID-19. On the de-densified campus, the residential cohort is required to continue upholding the Student Health Agreement. Violations will be addressed and may result in a student being sent home to continue the remainder of the semester remotely.
On this page:
The COVID -19 virus is a significant health challenge and it is impossible to know who will develop significant and life-threatening symptoms and who will not. All of us will need to work together to keep our selves and the entire community safe.
We know how much you value being part of this special community, and how seriously you and everyone takes their responsibilities to each other. This year, those responsibilities have particular importance. Our actions can help prevent a friend, a faculty member, or another member of the community from exposure to the virus. Inpidual behavior and choices play a significant role in slowing and stopping the spread of COVID-19. Physical distancing, use of face coverings, and good hygiene are critical.
By contrast, if we do not follow the rules outlined below, the transmission of the disease to another person is far more likely.
ALL students must agree to follow a set of expectations to minimize the spread of COVID-19. These standards were recommended by medical and public health professionals and meet or exceed federal and state guidelines. All students who plan to return to campus for instruction must commit to the expectations below. Please discuss these agreements and the rationale for them with your parents or guardians before signing.
- I agree to sanitize my hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer thoroughly and frequently throughout the day.
- I agree to maintain a physical distance of six feet from other people in communal spaces on campus.
- Masking and Distancing On Campus: I will wear a face covering that covers my nose and mouth when on campus, except when in my residence hall room with assigned roommates, in residence hall bathrooms, when exercising outdoors, or when eating
- Guests: I will not host students as guests in my residential space without everyone wearing a mask and maintaining social distancing. I will not attend, as a guest, any gathering in a residential space where I am not wearing a mask and maintaining a six foot distance
- Masking and Distancing at Off-campus Residence: An Off-Campus student residence may host no more than 25 guests at any one time on their property, indoors or outdoors. If one or more guests are present at an off-campus residence, including the outside areas of the off-campus residence, then all residents and guests are required to wear face coverings AND maintain a physical distance of six feet from one another at all times. A guest includes anyone who is not a tenant or owner of the off-campus residence. All residents of any off-campus residence and any guests who are College students will share responsibility for any violation of this requirement. Masking and social distancing requirements do not apply when the residents of an off-campus residence gather at their residence without a guest present.
- I agree that I will monitor myself daily for symptoms of COVID-19 including temperature. I agree to contact the Health Center if I have COVID-19 symptoms.
- I agree to complete the education and awareness program available through the Health Services
- I will honestly answer the questions on the College’s Health Form and I will follow all instructions on the College’s Health Form.
- If I am not feeling well, I will not attend class and will contact Health Services immediately.
- I agree to be tested for COVID-19 upon my return to campus and will quarantine in my residence hall room until the results are returned.
- I understand the College will engage in ongoing testing throughout the semester in order to contain the spread of the virus. The testing will include students who are symptomatic, students from higher risk groups, and some students selected at random. I understand the College Health Center may call me in for testing at any time and I agree to be tested by the Health Center upon request.
- I agree to clean my room regularly and disinfect surfaces that may carry the virus.
- I agree to obtain a seasonal flu shot from a provider at home or at no cost from the Health Center.
- I agree to restrict my travel to essential trips only and to register travel as required. To mitigate any spread of the virus, the College strongly discourages students from traveling beyond the immediate Gettysburg area. Exceptions include travel for healthcare, employment, and emergency situations. With the exception of students approved to commute, students who travel will be required to register their travel with the Department of Public Safety (DPS). Students employed off campus must register their place of employment.
Quarantine, Isolation and Contact Tracing
- Contact tracing is a vital technique to detect and isolate COVID-19 cases. It is the identification of people who may have been exposed to the virus. It is critical that students respond accurately to any questions asked in regards to potential contacts to contain the virus on campus. Understanding the importance of contact tracing, I agree to respond quickly and accurately to any contact tracing requests that I receive in order to protect the health and safety of other community members
- Quarantine and isolation are important mitigation efforts that can help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Both terms refer to separating someone from the rest of the community for a time because that person may have been infected with the virus (quarantine) or has symptoms of COVID-19 and/or has a positive COVID-19 test (isolation).
- I agree to isolate if I test positive or have symptoms for COVID-19, as instructed by the College’s Health Services until released by the Health Center.
- I agree to quarantine for 14 daysif I am identified as a contact of anyone who has been determined to be positive for COVID-19.
- I agree to quarantine if I have been tested for COVID-19 and am awaiting results of that test.
- If possible, I agree to self- quarantine at home for a period of 14 days prior to my scheduled return to campus.
- I agree I will not host off-campus guests, including students studying remotely, in my residence or on campus.
- I understand that, across the country, social gatherings with alcohol at bars and parties, especially indoors, have been a major contributor to the spread of the COVID-19 virus. With this in mind, I agree not to attend or host social events with alcohol of more than 25 people or any social event where six foot distancing cannot be maintained, either on campus or off campus.
Recognizing that the COVID-19 situation evolves rapidly, the College may have to adjust guidelines quickly. Updates will be e-mailed directly to all students if there is a significant change in protocols.
Violation of the COVID-19 Community Health Agreement
Compliance with these expectations is non-negotiable. Students who have concerns about adhering to the expectations above should not plan to return to campus for the fall.
- I understand that as a consequence of failing to uphold these standards, I may be subject to disciplinary procedures, including being asked to leave campus immediately. I understand I cannot be guaranteed the opportunity to complete my courses remotely.
- I understand that students who host a social event with alcohol in violation of these principles are subject to immediate removal and restriction from campus.
- Social events with alcohol hosted at off campus locations will be considered the joint responsibility of each student living at that address. If a student living off campus does not wish to share that responsibility, the student should contact the Office of Residence Life for a housing reassignment on campus.
- Organizations or groups that do not follow the social events provisions may be suspended from the campus community.