Travel by students and staff during COVID-19

Protocols for when you need to travel

Gettysburg College will continue to be guided by the most recent Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines and recommendations for domestic and international travel.

Registration requirement

Students are encouraged to stay within the Gettysburg area and limit any travel that is not absolutely necessary. Employees who wish to travel on behalf of the College must receive prior approval from their divisional head or academic divisional dean.

Once approval has been granted, all travel must be registered through the Travel Request form:

Register your travel

Student personal travel

Students are to restrict their travel to essential trips only and to register travel as required. To mitigate any spread of the virus, the College strongly discourages students from traveling beyond the immediate Gettysburg area. Exceptions include travel for healthcare, employment, religious observances, and emergency situations. All travel must adhere to state and local regulations related to COVID-19. With the exception of students approved to commute, students who travel will be required to register their travel. Students employed off campus must register their place of employment through the registration form.

Campus transportation

Transportation provided by the College will be modified and run only for Move-In and Move-Out. Students will have to be physically distanced in the vans; large vans will hold two people plus the driver. Upon boarding, students will need to use masks and hand sanitizer.

All field trips during the 2020-2021 academic year must be approved by the divisional deans, both because of new safety procedures and because of financial limitations that the additional expenses of having field trips with physical distancing will incur. We do encourage faculty to think about other types of virtual experiences that could be used to meet similar goals.

International travel

To register approved international travel, please complete the Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance form.