The College will provide the necessary personal protective equipment for employees whose job responsibilities require more than a simple cloth mask or face covering.
In some areas, staff will need to wear gloves as well as masks; health care workers will need medical or surgical masks instead of routine cotton masks, and, when doing COVID-19 testing or examining a student with symptoms suggesting COVID-19, will wear gloves, a sterile gown, a head covering, and an N95 respirator to protect themselves.
Examples of PPE include gloves, goggles, face shields, facemasks, and respiratory protection, when appropriate. During an outbreak of an infectious disease, such as COVID-19, recommendations for PPE specific to occupations or job tasks may change depending on geographic location, updated risk assessments for workers, and information on PPE effectiveness in preventing the spread of COVID-19.
All types of PPE must be:
- Selected based upon the hazard to the employee.
- Properly fitted and periodically refitted, as applicable (e.g. respirators).
- Consistently and properly worn when required.
- Regularly inspected, maintained, and replaced, as necessary.
- Properly removed, cleaned, and stored or disposed of, as applicable, to avoid contamination of self, others, or the environment.
The College will provide employees with the PPE needed to keep them safe while performing their jobs. The types of PPE required during a COVID-19 outbreak will be based on the risk of being infected with SARS-CoV-2 while working and job tasks that may lead to exposure.