MS–187: Papers of Gregory J. Landrey, Class of 1977
MS – 187: Papers of Gregory J. Landrey, Class of 1977
(1 box, .27 cubic feet)
Processed by Devin McKinney
Inclusive dates: 1910-1977
Bulk date: 1977
The papers consist of 1 box containing 4 folders and 2 envelopes.
Donation of Gregory J. Landrey, February 2012.
In January Term of his senior year, Gettysburg College history major Gregory J. Landrey ‘77 took an individualized study course under Professor Charles Glatfelter. His project—an up-to-date chronicle of the college’s real estate history including land purchases, demolished buildings, and recent construction projects—entailed extensive research in numerous college offices, as well as at the Adams County Historical Society. As the project proceeded, it also expanded, ultimately taking the entire spring semester to complete.
Landrey’s final 68-page paper, titled A History of the Gettysburg College Campus, was submitted on May 27, 1977. Recognized as an important addition to the chronicles of the college, it was duplicated, bound, and added to Schmucker (now Musselman) Library’s general and special collections. Glatfelter later acknowledged Landrey’s work in his definitive institutional history, A Salutary Influence: Gettysburg College, 1832-1985 (1987). Today the Landrey monograph is frequently consulted by students in connection with their own college history projects.
Scope and content note
This collection contains, in addition to a few photocopied documents, Greg Landrey’s handwritten notes, survey drawings, and index cards. It also includes the complete holographic draft of A History of the Gettysburg College Campus.
Special Collections possesses several other resources that usefully augment these papers. Among them are:
- RG 1: Office of the Board of Trustees
- Box 24
- RG 2: Office of the President
- RG 2.0.1 (Krauth) through RG 2.0.10 (C.A. Hanson)
- MS-119: Glatfelter Collection of Pennsylvania Hall Research
- Yonder Beautiful and Stately Edifice: The History of Pennsylvania Hall (Old Dorm), Charles Glatfelter
- Hand-drawn maps of campus, created by Landrey to supplement his paper
- Vertical File Manuscripts
- VFM-200: White House-Gettysburg College Campus
- VFM-231: Weidensall floor plans
- VFM-303: Glatfelter Hall – Proposal for Renovations, February 26, 1929
- VFM-313: Glatfelter Hall – History Report, May 28, 1924
- VFM-379: Pennsylvania Hall Rededication
- VFM-435: Pennsylvania Hall
- Photo files for campus views and specific buildings
- Articles from the Gettysburg College Alumni Bulletin
- Articles from The Gettysburgian