Gettysburg College prohibits students, recognized student organizations, fraternities and sororities, varsity athletic teams and all other student groups from engaging in Hazing. For the purposes of this policy, the College defines Hazing consistent with Pennsylvania’s Timothy J. Piazza Antihazing Law.
Hazing is defined as a person that intentionally, knowingly or recklessly for the purpose of initiating, admitting or affiliating a minor or student into or with an organization, or for the purpose of continuing or enhancing a minor or student’s membership or status in an organization, causes, coerces or forces a minor or student to do any of the following items:
- Violate Federal or State criminal law;
- Consume any food, liquid, alcoholic liquid, drug or other substance which subjects the minor or student to a risk of emotional or physical harm;
- Endure brutality of a physical nature, including whipping, beating, branding, calisthenics or exposure to the elements;
- Endure brutality of a mental nature, including activity adversely affecting the mental health or dignity of the individual, sleep deprivation, exclusion from social contact or conduct that could result in extreme embarrassment;
- Endure brutality of a sexual nature;
- Endure any other activity that creates a reasonable likelihood of bodily injury to the minor or student.
Aggravated Hazing is defined as a person that commits a violation of Hazing that results in serious bodily injury or death to the minor or student; and
- The person acts with reckless indifference to the health and safety of the minor or student; or
- The person causes, coerces, or forces the consumption of an alcoholic liquid or drug by the minor or student.
Organizational Hazing is defined as an organization that intentionally, knowingly or recklessly promotes or facilitates a violation of Hazing or Aggravated Hazing.
Gettysburg College prohibits all forms of Hazing as described in this policy. It shall not be a defense that the consent of the minor or student was sought or obtained. It is also not a defense that the conduct was sanctioned and or approved by the organization.
Any member of the College community who believes that they have witnessed, experienced, or are aware of conduct that constitutes Hazing, Aggravated Hazing, or Organizational Hazing, should report the concerns to the Campus Safety at 717-339-6911 or use the Community Concern Form. Hazing, Aggravated Hazing, and Organizational Hazing have criminal implications, any may be investigated by the Gettysburg Police Department in addition to the College.
Hazing violations are subject to the sanctions in the Community Standards up to and including suspension or expulsion.