The Office of Residential Education (Res Ed) employs 4-6 student assistants each semester to assist with the day-to-day activities in the central office. Each position will average 4-10 hours per week, depending on student schedules and hours availability.
Please check Handshake at the beginning of each semester to see if there are any openings for this job opportunity in Residential & First-Year Programs.
Res Ed oversees several aspects of student life including (but not limited to) student housing; first-year orientation; Charting Your Course (extended orientation); supervision of Residence Coordinator, Resident Assistant, and Community Adviser staff; and the College House program.
Successful candidates should possess the following qualities:
- Be an excellent team player and representative of Gettysburg College.
- Take initiative and be able to work independently.
- Have strong verbal and written abilities.
- Have the ability to see the big picture, while also paying close attention to details.
- Be an effective communicator with students and family members.
- Be familiar with Gettysburg resources, services, and departments.
- Possess a high level of maturity and an ability to use independent judgment.
- Have strong organizational skills.
- Be prompt, punctual, and dependable.
- Be personable and friendly.
- Enjoy hard but rewarding work.
- Be willing to learn and grow through the position.
Position Tasks and Duties:
Duties include general office procedures of:
- Serve as the first and primary point of contact for individuals calling, e-mailing or visiting the Office of Residential Education.
- Assisting students, parents, and other visitors or callers to the office
- Answering the telephone (responding to basic inquiries, setting up appointments, taking clear and concise messages)
- Understand Res Ed protocols, policies, and processes in order to assist students, parents, and staff over the summer in relation to students’ residential experiences
- Telephoning students to relay messages
- Computer data entry
- Labeling, copying, filing
- Assisting with special events
- Assisting students by finding materials and answering basic questions
- Assisting with housing openings, closings, breaks and transitions
- Work closely with the administrators in the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs, as well as throughout the division of College Life
- Work on special projects as directed, maintaining quality execution of tasks
- Maintain confidentiality in regards to all information made available through position
- Work within the context of the Res Ed Learning Plan and Citizenship Pillars to incorporate a variety of developmental experiences within the Res Ed office (emotional, academic, occupational/life planning, social, spiritual, physical and cultural awareness).
- Other duties as assigned
- Working knowledge of/willingness to learn: CMS (website management system), Housing Director, Moodle, Google Drive, and Microsoft Office Suite, internet (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) – all of these programs are utilized heavily by our student program coordinators and student office assistants.