Research travel is dependent on the conditions established by states, countries, the State Department and the Center for Disease Control. Please note that it is still the case that both the Department of State and the CDC strongly discourage international travel due to ongoing infection rates in a number of countries. It is advisable to postpone international research travel this summer if possible. Students may not accompany faculty on any research travel at this time.
A limited number of Academically Related Extracurricular Activity (AREA) grants are available each semester to recognized student groups who have need of additional funding in order to attend an educational and/or artistic conference, engage in academic competitions, or produce campus-wide publications.
AREA grants are capped at a maximum of $3,000 and cannot be used for any purpose other than to defray the costs of event registration, round-trip transportation, event lodging, and/or printing costs directly associated with the activity in question.
All requests for AREA funds must include the following:
- A completed and signed application form, including the budget sheet and Honor Code pledge;
- A letter from the organization’s faculty sponsor certifying that s/he is not only aware of the request but has reviewed the completed materials and attests to their accuracy; and
- In cases involving foreign travel, written approval from the Center for Global Education that all their requirements have been completed.
Please note that all these materials must be submitted before the request can be reviewed for possible funding. Since, for the most part, requests will be considered on a first come, first served basis, any changes to the submitted request, in the case of those requests that have already been granted funding, may result in such requests being voided and having to undergo another review or, in the case of those requests still undergoing consideration, may put that request at the “back of the line,” if other completed requests have been received in the meantime. In other words, do not submit your request for AREA funds until you have all the details worked out, including which students are participating and, most especially, your travel arrangements. Obviously, circumstances beyond anyone’s control arise and changes may need to be made BUT these changes must be reported to Dean Forrestal and reasonable explanations offered as part of the grant determination process.
The application deadline for events occurring between Monday, August 17, 2020 and Sunday, January 10, 2021 is October 23, 2020.
*Please note: In compliance with the college’s policy regarding COVID-19, we are currently not accepting travel-related SPPC and AREA funding requests until further notice.
The application deadline for events occurring between Monday, January 11 and Friday, April 16, 2021 is March 19, 2021.
- Only one request per organization per academic year will be considered.
- With regard to foreign travel, if your organization is granted AREA funding for foreign travel during the 2020-21 academic year, the organization cannot apply for such funding for the following academic year. Requests for domestic travel, however, may be considered. Thus, an organization can only travel abroad every other academic year but may be considered for a domestic travel AREA grant during the “off year.”