A limited number of Academically Related Extracurricular Activity (AREA) grants are available each semester to recognized student groups who have need of additional funding in order to attend an educational and/or artistic conference, engage in academic competitions, or produce campus-wide publications.
AREA grants are capped at a maximum of $3,000 and cannot be used for any purpose other than to defray the costs of event registration, round-trip transportation, event lodging, and/or printing costs directly associated with the activity in question.
Starting with the Fall 2019 semester, all requests for AREA funds must include the following:
- A completed and signed application form, including the budget sheet and Honor Code pledge;
- A letter from the organization’s faculty sponsor certifying that s/he is not only aware of the request but has reviewed the completed materials and attests to their accuracy; and
- In cases involving foreign travel, written approval from the Center for Global Education that all their requirements have been completed.
Please note that all these materials must be submitted before the request can be reviewed for possible funding. Since, for the most part, requests will be considered on a first come, first served basis, any changes to the submitted request, in the case of those requests that have already been granted funding, may result in such requests being voided and having to undergo another review or, in the case of those requests still undergoing consideration, may put that request at the “back of the line,” if other completed requests have been received in the meantime. In other words, do not submit your request for AREA funds until you have all the details worked out, including which students are participating and, most especially, your travel arrangements. Obviously, circumstances beyond anyone’s control arise and changes may need to be made BUT these changes must be reported to Dean Forrestal and reasonable explanations offered as part of the grant determination process.
The application deadline for events occurring between Monday, August 26, 2019 and Sunday, January 19, 2020 is November 1, 2019.
The application deadline for events occurring between Monday, January 20 and Friday, May 1, 2020 is April 1, 2020.
Please note, because AREA funds are limited, the following policies are now in effect:
- Only one request per organization per academic year will be considered.
- With regard to foreign travel, if your organization is granted AREA funding for foreign travel during the 2019-20 academic year, the organization cannot apply for such funding for the following academic year. Requests for domestic travel, however, may be considered. Thus, an organization can only travel abroad every other academic year but may be considered for a domestic travel AREA grant during the “off year.”