Campus Kitchen at Gettysburg College
Gettysburg College opened its doors in November 2007 as the first Campus Kitchen in PA! The project was initiated by Louisa Polos '07 and is currently managed by the Center for Public Service and student Program Coordinators. Louisa first learned about The Campus Kitchens Project as a volunteer of DC Central Kitchen. She left inspired by the experience and wanted to start a program at her school, so she made it happen!
The mission of the Campus Kitchens Project is to use service as a tool to:
- Strengthen Bodies by using existing resources to meet hunger and nutritional needs in our community;
- Empower Minds by providing leadership and service-learning opportunities to students, and educational benefits to adults, seniors, children, and families; and
- Build Communities by fostering a new generation of community-minded adults through resourceful and mutually beneficial partnerships among students, social service agencies, businesses and schools.
HOW IT WORKS
- Rescue: Campus Kitchens rescues prepared food that has not been served from Dining Services at Gettysburg College, local hotels, restaurants and caterers.
- Repackage: The food is repackaged and combined with additional foods procured through food drives, local farmers and the food bank, resulting in a well-balanced, nutritious meal. This process requires the highest standards of safety and sanitation.
- Deliver: Congregate and individual meals are delivered through partner agencies on a weekly basis. The delivery is accompanied by a visit, strengthening relationships in the community.
- Education: Meals and partnerships are coupled with nutrition education to empower community members.
All donors are protected from liability by the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act, which the United States Congress passed in 1996.
We can arrange for a weekly pick-up or you can contact us when you have food to donate.
The Leadership Team provides students with the opportunity to take on a position of higher responsibility and leadership in the day-to-day operations of the Campus Kitchen at Gettysburg College (CKGC). LT members will take an active role in weekly activities, as well as in the growth and continuation of the CKGC. Simultaneously LT members will learn the basics of non-profit management, organizational structure, and some cooking!
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.