The Bias Awareness Resource Committee (BARC) is committed to supporting a living, learning, and working environment in which all members are respected and their differences are valued. BARC is charged with reviewing bias incident reports and with implementing strategies to educate, to strengthen, and to support the campus community when such incidents occur.
It is important to note that establishing the BARC does not create a new category of prohibited behavior or new disciplinary or judicial processes.
Alleged bias conduct that may be a violation of College policy by a student will be referred for action through existing disciplinary or judicial procedures. Alleged bias conduct that may be a violation of College policy by a faculty member or staff member will be referred to the Provost or to the Director of Human Resources, respectively.
BARC is in no way a disciplinary body, and its functions are proactive as well as reactive. Thus BARC is charged with developing ways to communicate with and to respond to the community regarding bias incidents and policies, and therefore to strengthen and to support the community at all times, and most especially when bias incidents occur.
- Director of User Services at Musselman Library (Natalie Hinton)
- Black Student Union Representative (Quyn Israel ’20)
- Chinese International Student Representative (Niko (Luyang) Chen ’21)
- Latin American Student Association Representative (Vacant)
- Outer Space Representative (Vacant)
- Student Senate Representative (Diana Mendez)
- Interfraternity Council Representative (Vacant)
- The Chief Diversity Officer (Jeanne Arnold (co-chair))
- A Co-Director of Human Resources (Jen Lucas)
- Provost Office Representative (Jennifer Bloomquist)
- The Director of Student Rights and Responsibilities (Ron Wiafe)
- Executive Director of The Office of Multicultural Engagement (Darrien Davenport)
- Assistant Professor/Coordinator of Music Education (Brent Talbot)
- Director of Communications (Jamie Yates)
- Support Staff Council Representative (Rose Taylor)
- Administrative Advisory Council (Chris Ford)
- Faculty Co-Chair (Vacant)