Guidelines for the Reimbursement of Moving Expenses
Maximum payment by the College is $2000.00 of approved expenses as listed below, unless listed otherwise in the employee’s contract letter.
Please note that due to recent changes in the tax code, effective for moving expenses paid on or after January 1, 2018, all moving expense reimbursements or payments on behalf of employees are taxable and included as compensation.
- First $1000.00 of eligible expenses reimbursed 100%.
- Eligible expenses above $1000.00 reimbursed at 50%, with a maximum dollar reimbursement totaling $2000.00.
Eligible moving expenses will be paid one time, and the relocation of residence must be from outside a 50 mile radius of Gettysburg to within that radius of Gettysburg. Those eligible are newly employed full-time faculty and administrators. The following items will generally be eligible for reimbursement;
- The reasonable cost of moving household goods and personal effects from the former residence to the new residence. In the case of an employee and spouse relocating from different locations, reimbursement will be provided from one location only.
- The cost of packing, crating, and shipping furniture and other household items and personal effects of the employee and members of the household (dependents).
- The cost of professional moving of household goods. All receipts, invoices, contracts, etc. must be signed and paid by the employee.
- The expense of storing and insuring items for a 30-day period after moving out of the former residence and before delivery to the new residence.
- The cost of only one trip per person may be reimbursed. All household members do not need to relocate at the same time. (Receipts must be submitted within one year from date of employment.)
- Travel by car may be reimbursed using one of the following two options. The route taken must be the most direct. This is determined by the employer with the help of IRS guidelines. Side trips for sightseeing or other visits are not reimbursable.
- Actual expense of gas and tolls OR
- Payment for travel will be made at the mileage rate of $.18 cents per mile, plus tolls (or at the present IRS moving mileage rate).
- Limited lodging accommodations will be paid if traveling more than a day’s journey en route to Gettysburg.
- Storage and insuring of possessions for moving more than 30 days after moving out of the former residence.
The following expenses are not approved for reimbursement by Gettysburg College.
- Cost of food/meals before, during, and after the move.
- Incidental expenses and supplies.
- Costs associated with selling the old residence, ending a lease, purchasing a new residence, acquiring a lease.
- Cost of repairs, maintenance, depreciation, or insurance when traveling by car.
- Side trips, sightseeing, or other visits while en route to the new location.
- Moving expenses of tenants.
Administrators must submit their expenses and receipts to the Human Resources Office. Email email@example.com to request the required reimbursement forms for submittal.
HERS -Relocation Resource
Gettysburg College recognizes that relocation is often stressful and that it can impact the whole family. HERS (Higher Education Relocation Specialists) offers services that help our administrators and faculty members through the relocation process. Visit the HERS Gettysburg Relocation Resources to find resources for child care, elder care, housing and employment opportunities for your spouse/domestic partner. Additionally there are a variety of housing program and services to assist you, whether you are looking to rent, lease, or buy a home.
For mor information or to request a free estimate, visit www.HigherEdRelo.com and use password "gettysburg".
Free Parking is available in any campus parking lot 24 hour per day. Please stop by the Department of Public Safety Office to obtain a hang-tag for parking.
The Gettysburg College Identification Card office is located on College Avenue behind the Dining Center. All employees should have a GC ID. Please send a digital photo to MyBulletsIDPhoto@gettysburg.edu. Guidelines are listed at https://www.gettysburg.edu/offices/dining-services/bullet-id-card-office/using-a-digital-photo-for-your-id-picture. Your new hire paperwork must be completed and turned into Human Resources before you may obtain an ID card.
Dependent ID's are available only for Full Time & retired employees of the college. Dependent status is based on Human Resources criteria for medical benefits. Please send a digital photo with name of dependent and college employee to MyBulletsIDPhoto@gettysburg.edu Guidelines are listed at https://www.gettysburg.edu/offices/dining-services/bullet-id-card-office/using-a-digital-photo-for-your-id-picture.
Your ID card can be used in the College Store, to check out materials in the Library, and for entrance into the Weight Room and the Fitness Room. Funds may be added to your card for purchases in the Student Dining Room, Dive, The Commons, and Bullet Hole. These funds may be added through payroll deduction. To enroll for this deduction, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, ID cards may be used in the vending machines. Money may be added to your card for these transactions at www.Gettysburg.edu/OnlineDiningServices.
If you need additional information, please contact the ID office at extension 6326 email@example.com.
Employees who use GettyGold Funds will receive a 10% discount at the following venues: Bullet Hole, Commons, Dive, the Atrium, and Student Dining. You may do this by either setting up a payroll deduction (complete payroll form), E-Services – Online Dining Services using a Credit Card or visit the ID office in Dining Services with cash, credit card or a check to add GettyGold Funds to your ID card.