B.A. Gettysburg, College, 1961 (with highest honors in biology, chemistry minor)
M.S. Florida State University, 1964 (Zoology)
Ph.D. University of Maryland, 1972 (Zoology - Parasitology)
- 1963-64 Research Assistant, Florida State University
- 1963 Member, Scientific Crew, U.S.N.S. Eltanin, Antarctic Cruise 10
- 1964-70 Instructor in Biology, Gettysburg College
- 1970-77 Assistant Professor, Gettysburg College
- 1977-90 Associate Professor, Gettysburg College
- 1990 to 2010 Professor of Biology, Gettysburg College
- 2000-2010 Gettysburg College Marshal
- 2010 to present, Gettysburg College Professor of Biology, Emeritus
- 2004-present, Trustee, The Brayton H. Ransom Memorial Trust Fund
- 2020-present, Gettysburg College Alumni Association Board of Directors
Selected Courses Taught:
- Biology 102, 111, 112 General Biology, Introductory Biology
- Biology 215 Electron Microscopy and Ultrastructure
- Biology 230, 330 Microbiology, Bacteriology
- Biology 223, 323 Parasitology
- Biology J-Terms: Virology, Biostatistics, Electron Microscopy
Awards, Grants and Honors:
- 1973 NIH Training Grant Fellow, Louisiana State University, Interamerican Fellow in Tropical Medicine
- 1987 Participant, NSF Grant BBSR 8618863, University of Delaware
- 2010, Research Grant from Discover Life in America, The Great Smoky Mountains N.P.
- Recipient of several Gettysburg College Institutional Research Grants
- 1998 Anniversary Award, Helminthological Society of Washington
- 1998 Lifetime Achievement Award and Life Member, Pennsylvania Academy of Science
- 2013 Elected to Life Membership in the Helminthological Society of Washington
- Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in the East, multiple editions
Current Membership in Learned and Honorary Societies:
- The American Society of Parasitologists
- 2012-13 In Memoriam Committee
- 2010-2012 Clark P. Read Mentor Committee
- Helminthological Society of Washington
- 1984, 2016 President
- 1993-98 Editor, The Journal of the Helminthological Society of Washington
- 2003-2004 Vice President
- 1980-1982, 2005-2010 Corresponding Secretary-Treasurer
- 2013-2015 Recording Secretary
- 2017-present, Immediate Past President
- 2010 – present, Representative to the Council of the American Society of Parasitologists
- Pennsylvania Academy of Science
- 1984-85 Assistant Treasurer
- 196-89 Treasurer
- 1990-92 President
- 2000-2010 Chair, Finance Committee
- 2006-2013 Member of the Editorial Committee, Journal of the Pennsylvania Academy of Science
Heard, W. H. and S. S. Hendrix. 1964. Behavior of unionid glochidia. American Malacological Union Annual Report, pp. 2-4.
Hendrix, S. S. and R. B. Short. 1965. Aspidogastrids from Northeastern Gulf of Mexico river drainages. Journal of Parasitology, 51:561-569.
Hendrix, S. S. 1968. New host and locality records for two aspidogastrid trematodes, Aspidogaster conchicola and Cotylaspis insignis. Journal of Parasitology, 54:170-180.
Hendrix, S. S. and R. B. Short. 1972. The juvenile of Lophotapsis interiora Ward and Hopkins, 1931 (Trematoda: Aspidobothria). Journal of Parasitology, 58:63-67.
Hendrix, S. S. 1973. Plagioporus hypentelii sp. n. (Trematoda: Opecoelidae from the hog- sucker, Hypentelium nigricans (LeSueur) (Osteichthys: Catostomidae). Proceedings of the Helminthological Society of Washington, 40:144-146.
Hendrix, S. S. and R. M. Overstreet. 1977. Marine aspidogastrids (Trematoda) from fishes in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Journal of Parasitology, 64:810-817. Hendrix, S. S. 1978. The life history and biology of Plagioporus hypentelii Hendrix, 1973 (Trematoda: Opecoelidae). Journal of Parasitology, 64:606-612.
Halton, D. W. and S. S. Hendrix. 1978. Chemical composition and histochemistry of Lobatostoma ringens (Trematoda: Aspidogastrea). Zeitschrift fur Parasitenkunde, 57:237-241.
Hendrix, S. S. and R. M. Overstreet. 1983. Evaluation of the status of Texanocotyle pogoniae and Laterocotyle padraeinsulae (Trematoda: Aspidogastridae). Journal of Parasitology, 69:431-432.
Hendrix, S. S., M. F. Vidrine, and R. H. Hartenstine. 1985. A list of records of freshwater aspidogastrids (Trematoda) and their hosts in North America. Proceedings of the Helminthological Society of Washington, 52:289-296.
Hendrix, S. S. 1986. Population biology of the pleurocerid snail, Leptoxis carinata (Brug.) in Marsh Creek, Adams County, PA. American Malacological Bulletin, 4:119. (abstr.)
Hendrix, S. S. 1994. Marine Flora and Fauna of the Eastern United States. Platyhelminthes: Monogenea. NOAA Technical Report NMFS 121 of the Fisheries Bulletin, 107 pp.
Amin, O. M. and S. S. Hendrix 1999. Acanthocephala of cichlids (Pisces) in Lake Malawi, Africa, with a description of Acanthogyrus (Acanthosentis) malawiensis sp. n. (Quadrigyridae) from Labeo cylindricus Peters, 1852 (Cyprinidae). Journal of the Helminthological Society of Washington 66: 47-55.
Justine, J.-L., R. Jovelin, L. Neifar, I. Mollaret, L. H. Susan Lim, S. S. Hendrix, and L. Euzet. 2002. Phylogenetic positions of the Bothitrematidae and Neocalceostomatidae (Monopisthocotylean Monogeneans) inferred from 28S rDNA sequences. Comparative Parasitology 69: 20-25.
Hendrix, S. S. and D. C. Kritsky (Guest Editors). 2002. Thematic Issue, Fourth International Symposium on Monogenea. International Journal for Parasitology, 32(3): 233-384.
Hendrix, S. S. 2004. Some Aspects of the Biology of the Monogenean Bothitrema bothi from gills of the Flounder, Scophthalmus aquosus from New Jersey, USA. Folia Parasitologica. 51: 229-237. (Special Issue: Recent Results in Fish Parasitology)
Hendrix, S. S. 2005. Chapter 10 "Parasites of Fishes", In: Majumdar, S. K., et al. (Eds.) Wildlife Diseases, Pennsylvania Academy of Science, Books series.
Hendrix, S. S. 2005. Chapter 11 "Viral, Bacterial and Fungal Diseases of Fishes" In: Majumdar, S. K., et al., (Eds.) Wildlife Diseases, Pennsylvania Academy of Sciences, Books series.
McCrary, J. K., B. R. Murphy, J. R. Stauffer, Jr., and S. S. Hendrix. 2006. "Tilapia (Teleostei: Cichlidae) Status in Nicaraguan Natural Waters" Environmental Biology of Fishes 78(2): 107-114.
Bray, R. A. and S. S. Hendrix. 2007. “A New genus and species of Macroderioidae, and other digeneans from fishes of Lake Malawi, Africa” Journal of Parasitology, 93(4): 860-865.
Hendrix, S. S. 2014. The 2013 Helminthological Society of Washington Anniversary Award presented to Larry S. Roberts. Comparative Parasitology, 81(2): 289-290.
Hendrix, S. S. and B. Fried. 2017. In Memoriam: Jane Eva Huffman Roscoe. Journal of the Pennsylvania Academy of Science. 91(2): 134-138.
Hendrix, S. S. and B. Fried. 2017. In Memoriam: Jane Eva Huffman Roscoe B.A., M.A., Ph.D., M.P.H., C.W.F.S. Journal of Parasitology, 103(6): 804-806.
Hendrix, S. S. and B. Fried. 2018. In Memoriam: Jane Eva Huffman Roscoe B.A., M.A., Ph.D., M.P.H., C.W.F.S. Reprinted with permission in the Society of Wildlife Forensics Science News, 3(1): 18-20.
Hendrix, S. S. 2019. Happenings at the Helminthological Society of Washington. Blog post at the American Society of Parasitologists AND the Spring 2019 Newsletter of the American Society of Parasitologists, Volume 40.
Selected Papers Presented:
"The life cycle and biology of Plagioporus sp.," presented to the American Society of Parasitologists, Miami, FL, November, 1972.
"Metazoan parasites of Microtus pennsylvanicus in south central Pennsylvania." Presented to the American Society of Parasitologists, Chicago, IL, November, 1978.
"Population biology of the Pleurocerid snail, Leptoxis carinata ...." Presented at the American Malacological Union at the University of Rhode Island, August 1985.
"Scanning electron microscope study of Bothitrema bothi (Bothitrematidae)." Presented at the first International Symposium on Monogenea at Ceské Budjovice, Czechoslovakia, August, 1988.
"Attachment and gill microhabitat of Bothitrema bothi (Monogenea)." Presented to the International Congress of Parasitology, VII, Paris, France, August, 1990.
"Marine Monogenea from The Mid-Atlantic Coast of the United States." Presented to the Second International Symposium On Monogenea, Montpellier, France, July, 1993.
"Cichlidogyrus from three species of Petrotilapia in Lake Malawi, Africa", Presented at the Fourth International Symposium on Monogenea, Brisbane, Australia, July, 2001.
"Some Aspects of the Biology of the Monogenean Bothitrema bothi from gills of the Flounder, Scophthalmus aquosus from New Jersey, USA." Presented to the Sixth International Symposium on
Fish Parasites, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa, September 23, 2003.
“Analysis of Drying Methods for Scanning Electron Microscopy of Selected Platyhelminthes”. Coauthored by James Gates ’07 and Sherman Hendrix. Presented at the First North American Meeting of the American Society of Parasitologists, Sociedad Mexicana de Parasitologia and Parasitology Section of the Canadian Society of Zoologists, Merida, Mexico, June 24, 2007.
“Helminth and Myxozoan Parasites of Fishes of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP)” Presented at the Discover Life in America All Taxa Biotic Inventory Conference, Gatlinburg, TN, March 7, 2011.
Revised and Updated September, 1, 2020