Transfer Student FAQs

Below is a list of frequently asked questions we receive from transfer students applying to Gettysburg.

Don’t see your question in the list below? Reach out to our Transfer Student Coordinator by emailing your question to

If I've applied to Gettysburg before and want to apply as a transfer student, what do I need to do?

If you have previously applied to Gettysburg College and would like to apply as a transfer student, you will need to submit a new application through the Transfer Common Application.

Will my prior credits transfer?

Transfer credits are granted provisionally for individual courses passed with a ‘C’ or better at approved institutions, provided that these courses fit reasonably well into the Gettysburg curriculum. During the first semester, transfer students must review the graduation requirements with their academic advisor or the Registrar. Transfers are required to earn all additional credit at Gettysburg College or through a regular College-approved program of off-campus study. In order to complete the transfer of course credits, half of the degree requirements (16 units) must be completed at Gettysburg College. All transfer students must satisfy the course requirements in their major area of interest.

What advising programs are available to transfer students?

Each transfer student is assigned a faculty advisor who assists with academic questions, explains College policies, and helps set academic goals. Once you choose a major, you may select an advisor in the major area of study. In addition to your advisor and Gettysburg’s accessible professors, a number of personnel trained to counsel students regarding academic and personal matters are available to you through the Center for Student Success, academic advising office, college life office, residence life office, counseling services, health center, center for career development, and the intercultural resource center.

What financial assistance is available for transfer students?

Transfer students with a demonstrated financial need will be considered for financial assistance. We ask that you file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS Profile by November 1 for spring admission and by April 15 for fall admission. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more detailed information.

Is there a special orientation program for transfer students?

Transfer orientation occurs before both the fall and the spring semesters and includes activities with other transfer students, meetings with your advisor, and sessions with your orientation leader. A variety of administrative offices play a cooperative role in making your transition to Gettysburg College a successful one.

I am an international student interested in transferring to Gettysburg. What do I need to do?

Gettysburg College welcomes transfer applications from international students. The dates and deadlines for admission are the same for international students, however you will need to submit the following additional documents:

  • English language proficiency testing: Gettysburg College requires international applicants to submit English proficiency testing if English has not been the language of instruction in the classroom for at least two years, or if English is not the first language.

Gettysburg accepts the following English proficiency tests. While Gettysburg does not have a minimum score to apply, the minimum scores of competitive applicants are indicated below.

  • TOEFL: 90
  • IELTS: 7.0
  • Duolingo English Test: 120

The institutional code for Gettysburg College is 2275 (for TOEFL and IELTS only). Official scores should be sent from the respective testing agencies or a school official. We do not super score English proficiency tests.

  • International Student Financial Statement: All international applicants–regardless of their interest in being considered for financial assistance–must submit the International Student Financial Statement, available in the applicant portal, by the application deadline.
  • Financial Aid Application for International Students: International applicants who wish to be considered for financial assistance are required to submit the Financial Aid Application for International Students by the application deadline.
  • Interviews: While interviews are not required, Gettysburg College does value the opportunity to learn more about you, beyond your application. Interviews are offered virtually, on campus, and in select locations around the globe. It is strongly recommended that international students whose first language is not English complete an interview.
  • Passport information: United States law now requires international students to have a passport in order to issue a Form I-20 for your student visa application. Applicants to Gettysburg College are welcome–but not required–to submit passport information. Please note, however, that we will request passport information from all enrolled students in order to issue the Form I-20.

What housing options are available for transfer students?

Transfer students are guaranteed on-campus housing, an important aspect of helping you to have a successful transition into our community. More than 95% of students at Gettysburg live in college-owned dorms, apartments, and houses.

How many courses must I complete at Gettysburg in order to receive a degree from Gettysburg College?

A full-time course load at Gettysburg College consists of 8 courses per year, with four courses in one semester and four in the other. A minimum of 16 courses must be taken at Gettysburg College or through a regular College-approved program of off-campus study.

Will AP or IB exam scores be considered as transfer credits?

All entering students who submit a score of ‘4’ or ‘5’ on Advanced Placement (AP) tests may receive one course credit for each tested area towards the 32-course graduation requirement. The College awards one course credit in each subject area for Higher Level International Baccalaureate (IB) examination scores of ‘5’ or higher. Credit for a Higher Level score of ‘4’ will be given at the discretion of the department. Official AP or IB exam score reports must be submitted in order to be considered for course credit.