Musselman Library’s Statement on Diversity and Inclusion
Musselman Library is committed to creating, through our learning spaces, programs, services, collections, and policies, an environment that supports, values, and respects everyone in the Gettysburg College community. At Gettysburg, diversity includes but is not limited to age, country of origin, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, geography, learning differences, political beliefs, race, religion, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic level.
We are working with purpose to:
- cultivate a safe, welcoming space and provide excellent service for all students, employees, community members, and visitors
- collect materials that represent a plurality of viewpoints
- strengthen discovery systems so that all viewpoints are findable
- facilitate diverse programs and exhibits that contribute to a positive campus climate
- enhance the intercultural competence of all library employees (including student employees) through ongoing learning opportunities
- improve diversity among library employees at all levels in order to create a more inclusive library experience for our users
- build partnerships and share information with campus offices and student groups that are committed to diversity and inclusion
The Diversity & Inclusion Committee of Musselman Library, established in 2016, encourages awareness of issues relating to diversity and inclusion at the library. We share and promote campus opportunities and facilitate conversations, workshops, and trainings to enhance the cultural competence of library employees. Our position is supported by Gettysburg College’s mission as well as the American Library Association’s Core Values of Librarianship.
Current diversity initiatives include: