From the president - Fall Magazine - 2016

There is no question that Gettysburg College has a distinctive niche; our historic location combined with our exceptional academic and co-curricular offerings truly position us as one of the nation’s premier institutions of higher education.

But as I have said many times since I took on the role of president, what really sets Gettysburg apart is the people. 

We are blessed to have a loyal network of alumni, parents, and friends in almost every profession imaginable across six continents—many of whom stay closely connected to the College and offer help to our students, guidance to our administration, and significant financial support. We have a community of faculty and staff who are devoted to our students and this College—individuals who provide an outstanding education and support the student experience in a multitude of ways, regularly going above and beyond what is required of them because they know the work they do is important. And we have remarkable students who inspire me every day by their commitment not only to their personal success, but to making the world a better place.

This fall, we welcomed a new group of talented Gettysburgians to our community—the Class of 2020. It was another outstanding admissions season for the College as we received a record-breaking number of applications—more than 6,800—a testament to Gettysburg’s growing reputation. This class of approximately 700 students comes from 29 states and 15 countries, and it is the most racially diverse class in our history.

Recruiting a talented class is no small feat. We are committed to making a Gettysburg education accessible to all qualified students, not just those who have the ability to pay the full cost. Sixty-five percent of our first-year class will receive financial aid. That is why scholarship support continues to be of tremendous importance for us and is a top priority of our Gettysburg Great Campaign.

Today, only 5 percent of the College’s financial aid for students comes from endowed scholarships. The rest—95 percent—comes from our annual operating budget, a small portion of which is supported by the Gettysburg Fund. 

As you think about Gettysburg College and the importance of the work we do in preparing the well-educated leaders of tomorrow, I ask you to consider supporting today’s students, either through establishing an endowed fund or a Gettysburg Fund scholarship. With the gift of a scholarship, you will be making an investment not only in these students, but also in our collective future. 

I thank you for your continued support of Gettysburg College, and I look forward to all that we will accomplish together this year!


Janet Morgan Riggs ’77