Ten courses from four Areas are required for the History major.
- A minimum of seven must have the HIST designator and be taken at Gettysburg College.
- One world history course at the 100-level
Four History Elective Courses
- Four History elective courses
- No more than one may be a 100-level course.
This 100-level course may be one AP credit or FYS 149, 153, or 170-3.
- May include AFS 262, 331, 375, CLA 251, 252, CWES 205, FREN 310, GER 285, or 312.
Any History minor seeking credit toward the minor for FREN 310, GER 285, or 312, must also be a major or minor in that language.
CWES 205 and HIST 345 cannot both count towards the major.
- HIST 300 Historical Method
Three Advanced Courses
- 3 history courses at the 300-level
- Senior Seminar HIST 400- 449
- Of the courses satisfying the advanced courses and the electives, four courses at the 200 or 300-level must come from at least four of the following areas: North America, Africa, Europe, Latin America, Asia, Islamic World, and Comparative.
- Up to two courses may count toward the History major during a semester abroad, usually at the 200-level.
- Courses toward the major may not be taken under the S/U grading option.