The Office of the Registrar is responsible for maintaining the academic records of all current and former students, including grades, majors, minors, degrees, and graduation honors. We track all students’ progress toward the completion of their degrees, and provide information that students can use to verify that they have completed all requirements necessary to complete their degrees.
S/U Grading Option for Fall 2020
For Fall 2020, students will have the ability to change the grading option from letter grade to Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) during the week of November 2-6. This option will be available via the Student Center beginning Monday, November 2, and must be completed by the student before 11:59PM EDT on Friday, November 6.
For all courses in which students receive Satisfactory (S), including majors and minors, this grade will count toward degree requirements, which will override some Departmental or College policies. All other academic policies will apply. As a reminder, courses that are selected S/U will not be included in GPA calculations; including both the Fall 2020 semester GPA and your overall cumulative GPA.
Please note the following:
- For Fall 2020, courses taken S/U can satisfy major and minor requirements.
- For Fall 2020, courses taken S/U can satisfy curricular requirements.
- Beginning 11/2/2020, students can log into the Student Center to decide which course or courses to convert to S/U. All grades of C- or better in a course for which a student elects the S/U grade will convert to S.
- All grades of D+ or below in a course for which a student elects S/U will convert to U.
- The deadline to choose the S/U grading option for Fall 2020 courses is 11/6/2020
- The last day to withdraw from classes with Grade of “W” is 11/6/2020
- S/U grades do not affect a student's quality point average
- If a student chooses S/U in a course(s) and earns a grade of U, the student will not earn course credit for that course and the course cannot satisfy a prerequisite, major/minor requirement, or a curricular requirement.
- If a student is taking a Fall 2020 course S/U that is a prerequisite for another course, any particular grade requirements associated with that prerequisite (other than the requirement that the student pass the course) are to be waived.
- Course(s) taken S/U for the Fall 2020 semester will count against the maximum of 6 courses allowed over four years at Gettysburg College (S/U courses from spring 2020 did not count against this limit).
- For the Spring 2021 semester, the W and S/U deadlines will be maintained as currently scheduled, (3/19/2021).
For students receiving course credit from CGE study abroad programs, please contact the Office of the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org the week of November 2-6 with your intentions to select S/U grading for a course, or courses, and be sure to identify the specific course(s).
Students are strongly encouraged to discuss options with their faculty advisor before opting to take a S/U in a course or courses, so they are making informed decisions. Please contact the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com with questions.
Selecting the S/U grading option
Follow these step-by-step instructions to elect the S/U grading option:
Step 1: From your Student Center, under Academics, locate the drop down menu and select Grades:
Once you have selected Grades, click on the Go button:
Step 2: Select Fall 2020 and click Continue:
Step 3: From the Official Grades Table, check the course(s) you would like to change from letter grade to S/U Grading for Fall 2020.
Please Note- you are selecting only the course(s) you wish to be graded with the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grading option; courses with a W (withdrawn), INC (incomplete), NG (no grade) will not be available to change to S/U.
For this example, the student would like to change the grading option for BIO 111 and HIST 105 to S/U.
The Student would check the box for BIO 111 and click Save.
Please remember to click Save- only by saving your selection will the Office of the Registrar be notified of your request to change the course to S/U.
The change from letter grade to S/U is not automatic from the Student Center; the Office of the Registrar will need to run a process to update your student record, transcript, and the Student Center. This process will be completed after grades are due on December 15.
Step 4: The Office of the Registrar will run a process that will change the letter grade to the S/U option, and depending on the grade, record the S or U for each course you have selected:
When the process is complete, you will be able to check the Grades from the Student Center to verify your selection has been processed for Fall 2020.