Studying abroad/off-campus during the spring semester
Every spring, housing selection occurs for the following academic year. Housing selection processes for 2020-2021 will begin February 2020. It is recommended that students who are abroad during the spring semester assign a proxy for all selection processes. This can be done via CNAV/MyHousing by selecting the "Housing Proxy Form for Spring ABR Students" under application drop-down menu.
- Current juniors can participate in the off-campus housing application process during the month of February and March.
- All students can participate in the College House selection during the months of February and March and online housing selection process in March and April.
If you are studying abroad you will be able to participate in the various housing selection processes, including applying to live in a College House or to be approved to live off-campus. With the online housing selection process that occurs in March and April, students will need to select each other as roommates prior to selecting a room or apartment. (Instructions regarding this part of the process will be published with lottery times in March 2020 and April 2020.) When doing so, the online housing system will confirm that all roommates have selected one another--and students now become a group. Only the student with the lowest (best) lottery number and earliest lottery time will need to select housing for the group via the online housing selection system.
If you are studying abroad during this process and your lottery number is the best number of your group, you can select for your group via CNAV/MyHousing/My Housing Self Service, or you may select a proxy here on campus to select housing for your group. Lottery numbers are not transferable, and in the event that you need to choose a proxy because you cannot select housing for your group at the appointed time, you must email Sharon Fissel so that your lottery time can be transferred to your proxy who will then select housing for your group.
As mentioned previously, the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs will be publishing additional information about the online housing selection process in March 2020. When you receive this information via your campus email, you will also be able to log unto CNAV/MyHousing/My Housing Self Service to view your lottery time. You will be able to log on and look at the available housing and feel connected to the process even if you are halfway around the world. Of course, your lottery time will be on Gettysburg time and you will have to adjust at your location.
Should you have any questions, please contact Sharon Fissel, Assistant Director of Residential & First-Year Programs.
Studying abroad/off-campus during the fall semester
All students applying to study abroad/off-campus for the Fall 2020 Semester should plan to attend the Study Abroad Pre-Departure Orientation on Tuesday, March 24, at 4:00 p.m. in the CUB Ballroom. Staff members from the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs will explain the housing selection process.
Students studying abroad/off-campus during the fall will receive a lottery number along with the rest of the student population in March. This number will be used to assign housing for the Spring 2021 Semester.
Spring 2021 Housing
- Living off-campus
If you plan to study abroad/off-campus during the Fall 2020 Semester and wish to reside in an off-campus apartment upon returning in the spring, you MUST participate in the Off-Campus Living approval process that occurs during the Spring 2020 Semester.
- Greek Housing
If you are a member of a Greek fraternity you will need to check the residency requirements of your fraternity before seeking any other housing option.
- Disability Accommodations for Housing
The Office of Residential & First-Year Programs will work to accommodate students returning from abroad/off-campus for the spring semester who are approved for disability accommodations. However, depending on the housing available, all student preferences may not be able to be met when finding appropriate accommodations.
- College Houses
If you are interested in living in a college house upon your return for the spring 2021 semester, please make sure you participate in the College House application process in February 2020. If you have questions about a specific college house, please feel free to contact the appropriate College House leader for assistance.
- Online selection process held in March and April for on-campus housing
The only way a student who will be studying off-campus during the fall semester can participate in the housing selection process for the Fall 2020 semester is if the student is joining a group through a Room Switch Agreement.
If the student who is studying abroad/off campus has the lowest (best) lottery number of the group, the group can use the number to select housing. This will need to be noted on the Room Switch Agreement.
- Study Abroad Housing Form for Spring 2021
Students not securing housing by any of the above mentioned options will be assigned housing for the Spring 2021 semester using a Study Abroad Housing Form. This form will be emailed to your campus email by Monday, March 23. Your completed Study Abroad Housing Form is due by Friday, April 10.
Your Study Abroad Housing Form will serve as your housing preference form for the Spring 2021 semester. Because we realize plans become more concrete over the course of the semester, you may make any necessary changes to your preferences at any time prior to December 4 by emailing Sharon Fissel, Assistant Director of Residential & First-Year Programs.
Study Abroad Housing Forms are then placed in class year/lottery number order for housing placement for the spring semester.
- Spring 2021 placements
To provide the greatest possible chance of matching your preferences with available housing, we wait to assess TOTAL vacancies including withdrawals, transfers, and academic dismissals (which are not decided until the week of January 4, 2021). Therefore, the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs will not complete housing assignments until the week of January 11, 2021. Once assignments are completed, students will be emailed at which time they can view their spring housing assignment via MyHousing in CNAV. Please note the following:
- Due to space limitations, requests for groups of three or more are not usually granted. It is more likely that we will place students in pairs.
- All students will be billed "Plan 2 – Apartment Rate" for the spring semester prior to January. If your placement is anything other than an apartment, you will receive an adjusted statement in January.
- Students will not be permitted to arrive on campus for the Spring 2021 semester prior to 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, January 16. However, if you are part of an organization that requires your arrival before this time, you will be on a roster for early arrival. Please check with your respective organization, coach or Faculty/Administrative Leader to make sure you are on this roster.
- Keys can be picked up in the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs (CUB 250) on both Saturday, January 16 and Sunday, January 17 (exact times are to be determined). Keys may also be picked up during regular business hours beginning at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, January 18.
- Meal plans begin on Saturday, January 16.
- Classes begin on Monday, January 18.
- Please see the College Calendar for other important dates for the Spring Semester.
Hours for the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs during winter break:
December 21-23 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.* December 24-January 3 CLOSED January 4-8 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.* January 9-10 CLOSED January 11-15 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.* January 16 9:00 a.m. - TBD January 17 TBD *The office closes for lunch between noon and 1:00 p.m.