The information below pertains to summer 2019. Summer housing information for 2020 will be updated on this page by April 1.
All students who are applying for summer housing are encouraged to attend the Summer Employment/Housing Information Session listed below. Staff from various departments on campus will conduct this information session and be available to answer questions related to summer employment and housing.
Friday, March 22 at 10:00 a.m. in CUB 208
Housing Application and Room Selection Procedures
- Summer housing applications must be submitted by 8:00 a.m. on Friday, April 19, 2019. The application is an online form; the link to the form can be found at the end of this webpage.
- Summer housing room sign-ups will be held Thursday, April 25 beginning at 4:00 p.m. in CUB 260. Note that this is NOT an online process.
- Lottery numbers will be randomly generated on Tuesday, April 23, for all applicants who submit their summer housing application by the April 19 deadline. Applications submitted after the deadline will be placed at the end in date received order, as space permits.
- Room selection will be broken down into 1/2 hour increments (between 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.) by class year then lottery number order. Applicants will receive an email on Tuesday, April 23 notifying them of the time slot in which they will select housing. Only students whose eligibility is verified will then select housing during this time.
- Those who physically cannot attend room sign-ups on April 25 will need to designate a proxy to choose a room on their behalf. They do so by completing a summer housing proxy form, which their proxy must bring with him/her when selecting summer housing on April 25.
Summer Housing Eligibility and Verification
The Office of Residential & First-Year Programs will only provide housing for one or more of the following reasons listed below. Anyone seeking housing for any other reason than listed below will not be accommodated in campus housing this summer.
- Gettysburg College student employees
- Students completing a College approved internship
- Gettysburg College research assistants
- Students taking summer classes
- International students
Verification Process - Verification must be provided by 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, April 23. Students will NOT be able to select a room for the summer NOR be issued a key for summer housing until their summer housing eligibility can be verified.
- Students who are college employees, interns or research assistants must have their supervisor verify their eligibility via the link in the email sent to the supervisor once the online housing application is submitted.
- If students are seeking an internship off-campus, the internship must be college approved and the appropriate paperwork must be completed through the Center for Career Engagement. See the Center for Career Engagement website for more information on internships.
- Students taking summer classes will be verified through the Registrar’s Office.
Summer Housing Fee
- The 2019 Summer Housing rate is $560 per student.
- Housing rates apply regardless of the amount of time needed for summer housing and will not be pro-rated based on check-in or check-out dates.
- Residential & First-Year Programs will bill summer housing applicants for summer housing by Friday, April 26.
- Please review the Financial Services guidelines to help departments determine if on-campus summer housing is a requirement of student employment and whether or not summer housing is college provided or billed to the student. Questions regarding these topics should be directed to Sharon Dayhoff, Director of Financial Services/Controller at 717-337-6276.
Summer Housing Locations
Summer housing for 2019 will be located in the following locations:
- Ice House (G and I) - each Ice House apartment houses 4-6 people in mostly doubles, has a full kitchen, and is air-conditioned.
- Constitution Apartment A - this apartment houses nine people (four doubles and one single), has a full kitchen and is air-conditioned.
- The X-SIG summer research students will be housed in Ice House H. Each Ice House H apartment houses four people in doubles, has a full kitchen, and is air-conditioned.
- The CPS Fellows will be housed in Constitution Apartment B, which is made up of four doubles and a single, has a full kitchen, and is air-conditioned.
- The Kolbe Fellows will be housed in Constitution Apartment C, which has two singles and four doubles, a full kitchen, and is air-conditioned.
- Additional housing may be added as needed.
All college furniture must remain in summer residence hall rooms regardless of summer capacity. These housing options for the summer are subject to change and the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs reserves the right to determine the number of doubles and singles to accommodate all summer housing requests.
Summer Housing Check-in Dates and Temporary Storage
Summer housing check-in dates will be determined once summer housing room sign-ups occur. Please check back here for more information about the transition timeline.
Limited Temporary Storage
- Limited temporary storage will be available for students who cannot transition to summer housing during the timeline that is set.
- Specific details about requesting temporary storage will be available by May 3.
- All items MUST be removed from temporary storage by Friday, June 7.
Summer housing will end at 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 4
Summer housing end dates are determined by fall housing placement, summer conference schedule and Facilities/Housekeeping needs to have rooms appropriately prepared for fall occupancy.
- Summer residents will pick up their fall housing room keys no earlier than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, August 2. Key pick-up will occur in CUB 250 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. on August 2.
- Summer residents must be moved out of their summer housing by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 4. Summer housing keys must be returned by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 4.
- PLEASE NOTE: Students not returning for the Fall 2019 semester (e.g. May 2019 graduates, those studying off-campus, those living off-campus, etc.) must vacate their Gettysburg College residence hall room and return their summer housing room keys by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 4.
- All summer housing residents MUST plan their work schedules and any travel arrangements around these checkout dates.
Please note: It is important that summer residents share information regarding summer housing check-in AND check-out dates and times with their supervisors and/or departments. It is crucial that students transition between spring-to-summer and summer-to-fall housing within the times determined by the Office of Residential & First-Year Programs. Our buildings are scheduled for summer conferences, summer renovations, and preparation for students’ arrival in August. Summer residents will need to plan to move during these times or use temporary storage.