Gettysburg College will be offering a limited on-campus, summer program for our students during the summer of 2021.
Summer Housing will run from Monday, May 17 through Sunday, August 8. Although we are not yet free from the restrictions of COVID-19 in our community, we believe that we can safety operate at a limited capacity to support a number of campus programs.
Before applying for summer housing, it is important that students understand the following information and summer program/housing requirements.
On this page:
Housing eligibility and verification
To be eligible for summer housing, a student must fall into one of the following categories:
- Fellowship Program Participant (example include):
- XSIG Fellows
- Library Digital Scholars
- Kolbe Scholars
- Center for Public Service (CPS)
- College-Approved Internship (registered and verified with the Center for Career Engagement)
- Summer Course Participant (verified with the Registrars Office)
- International student who is unable to return home
- On-Campus Student Employee (verified with students supervisor)
- Other Extenuating Circumstances (to be approved by exceptions committee)
- Permanent address is Gettysburg College
- No permanent address
- Other extreme hardship
Verification of eligibilitySummer housing verification of eligibility must be provided by 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, May 6. Students will not be able to select a room for the summer nor be issued a key for summer housing until their summer housing eligibility can be verified.
- Testing There will not be a campus testing protocol during the summer. All summer program participants will have the option to test during the week of May 17 prior to beginning their time in summer housing. More information about community resources related to COVID-19 will be provided to students approved to participate in summer programs.
- Vaccines The College is still considering its approach for vaccines in the fall semester, but given there will not be testing this summer and the percentage of community members who are vaccinated is relatively low at this point, students remaining on campus for the summer must receive either the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine in order to participate in summer programming. Students should have their first dose scheduled by May 5. If you have a religious or medical exemption, please contact the Health Center so it can be indicated on your record. All other students should upload their vaccination card into Medicat once they receive their first dose. After the second dose, you will be asked to upload your vaccine card again. There are a number of options to schedule a vaccine around the Gettysburg area. One option to consider is contacting WellSpan at (855)851-3641 to schedule a vaccine appointment or by visiting their website. Free transportation to vaccination appointments is being provided by Rabbit Transit and will be approved even if it is outside of the 5-mile radius to campus.
- Students participating in summer programs and housing are responsible to uphold the Student Code of Conduct, including the Residential Guidebook. Students will also be required to comply with any health and safety restrictions and guidelines due to the continued presence of COVID-19. Please see the summer housing application for detailed information regarding what students will be agreeing to as part of their summer program participation.
Employment and housing Q&A session
Supervisors and students who are applying for summer housing are encouraged to attend the virtual Summer Employment/Housing Q&A Session listed below. Staff from various departments will be available to answer questions related to summer employment and housing.
Thursday, April 22, 2021, at 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time (via zoom)
Housing locations and fee
- The 2021 Summer Housing rate per student is $600 for any portion of the summer housing period. The fee will not be prorated based on time actually physically on campus.
- In an effort to continue to safeguard against COVID-19 and to allow for easy isolation and quarantine, summer housing students will be housed in single bedrooms that allow for quarantine and isolation. The buildings being used for summer housing include Colonial, Lahm, Paxton, and Smyser Halls which provide students with their own room and bathroom. If needed, housing will also be provided in Huber Hall at a reduced capacity.
- Residential & First-Year Programs will bill summer housing applicants for summer housing by Wednesday, May 12. Students will see the charge on their student accounts no later than Monday, May 17.
- All summer housing rooms are air-conditioned.
- All college furniture must remain in summer residence hall rooms regardless of summer capacity.
- These housing options for the summer are subject to change.
Meal plan requirement
Due to the unavailability of residential kitchens in the halls being used for summer housing accommodations, all summer students will be required to have a meal plan.
- The meal plan will be available to students for two meals a day at the Bullet Hole for the duration of their participation in summer housing. Bullet Hole fare will include some of the staples that students know (Petes Paninis, Abes Favs, etc.), and it will also include new and exciting fare to keep student meal options fresh and exciting.
- The meal plan rate is $125 per week and will be calculated based on the number of weeks that a student is in housing for the summer. Students will note their housing needs (by week) on their summer housing application.
- Weeks run from Monday through Sunday. Meal plans will be billed for consecutive, full weeks and there will be no proration for partial weeks and no refunds issued.
Application and room selection
- Summer housing applications must be submitted by 10:00 a.m. on Monday, May 3, 2021. The application is an online form; the link to the form can be found at the end of this webpage.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will be placed at the end in date received order, as space permits.
- Summer housing assignments will be selected by approved summer students through an online process that will occur on Thursday, May 6. Only students whose eligibility is verified will entered into the lottery and be able to select housing on this day.
- Students will select housing using the lottery numbers generated for the academic year housing selection process.
- More information about the online process will be provided to approved summer housing residents.
Financial information and assistance
- Summer Housing Fee - $600 for any portion of the summer housing period
- Required Meal Plan Cost - $125 per week based on duration of time in summer housing (per student summer housing application)
- If you are part of a sponsored summer program or campus department, please consult with your sponsor, director, or employer to understand what, if any portion of your costs will be covered by your program.
- If your costs are not covered by your program and you have significant financial need, please note this need on your summer housing application, and a staff member will contact you to privately discuss your financial need.
|Tuesday, April 20||Summer housing applications available|
|Monday, May 3, at 10 a.m.||Summer housing applications due|
|Thursday, May 6, by 9 a.m.||Summer housing eligibility must be confirmed|
|Thursday, May 6||Online housing Selection|
|Sunday, May 16, at 10 a.m.||Halls close for non-seniors|
|Monday, May 17||Summer bills posted to student accounts|
|Monday, May 17, at 10:30 a.m.||Commencement|
|Monday, May 17, at 9 p.m.||Halls close for seniors|
|Monday, May 17||Summer housing program officially begins|
|Friday, May 21–Sunday, May 23||Summer housing transition (from spring housing)|
|Friday, August 6–Sunday, August 8||Summer housing transition (to fall housing)|
|Sunday, August 8||Summer housing officially ends*|
* PLEASE NOTE: Students who are still residing in summer housing on August 6 and will be on-campus for the fall semester will move to their fall housing the weekend of August 6-8. Students not returning for the Fall 2021 semester (e.g. May 2021 graduates, those studying abroad/ off-campus, those living off-campus, etc.) must vacate their Gettysburg College residence hall room and return their summer housing room keys by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 8. Students not returning for the Fall 2021 semester (e.g. May 2021 graduates, those studying off-campus, those living off-campus, etc.) must vacate their Gettysburg College residence hall room and return their summer housing room keys by 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 8.
Campus mail service
Summer residents should notify the campus Post Office if they plan to remain on campus for the summer so that the Post Office does not forward their mail home.
Questions and application
Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.