Dear Gettysburg College Students,
I’m writing to inform you the College faculty have voted to implement a modification to the existing policy regarding S/U grading during the Fall 2020 semester. Please see the details provided below.
Please contact the Office of the Registrar if you have any questions regarding this temporary policy for the Fall 2020 semester.
Christopher J. Zappe
Temporary modification to the grading policy for the Fall 2020 Semester:
The College faculty voted to create a temporary modification to the grading policy for the Fall 2020 semester that addresses the extraordinary circumstances we continue to face.
All Gettysburg College students will be permitted to convert any of their courses to S/U grading for this semester. For all courses in which students receive Satisfactory (S), including majors and minors, this grade will count toward degree requirements, which will override some Departmental or College policies. All other academic policies will apply.
Please note the following:
- For Fall 2020, courses taken S/U can satisfy major and minor requirements.
- For Fall 2020, courses taken S/U can satisfy curricular requirements.
- Beginning 11/2/2020, students can log into the Student Center to decide which course or courses to convert to S/U. All grades of C- or better in a course for which a student elects the S/U grade will convert to S.
- All grades of D+ or below in a course for which a student elects S/U will convert to U.
- The deadline to choose the S/U grading option for Fall 2020 courses is 11/6/2020
- The last day to withdraw from classes with Grade of “W” is 11/6/2020
- S/U grades do not affect a student's quality point average
- If a student chooses S/U in a course(s) and earns a grade of U, the student will not earn course credit for that course and the course cannot satisfy a prerequisite, major/minor requirement, or a curricular requirement.
- If a student is taking a Fall 2020 course S/U that is a prerequisite for another course, any particular grade requirements associated with that prerequisite (other than the requirement that the student pass the course) are to be waived.
- Course(s) taken S/U for the Fall 2020 semester will count against the maximum of 6 courses allowed over four years at Gettysburg College (S/U courses from spring 2020 did not count against this limit).
For the Spring 2021 semester, the W and S/U deadlines will be maintained as currently scheduled, (3/19/2021).
Students are strongly encouraged to discuss options with their faculty advisor before opting totake a S/U in a course or courses, so they are making informed decisions.
Allowing this flexibility is a direct acknowledgement of the continued impact the current situation is having on our community. Remote and/or in-person courses will continue to maintain the highest quality of instruction. We also expect students to remain engaged, access available resources for additional support, and finish strong.