Jeff Foster, Interim Vice President for College Life and Dean of Students, updates students about pre-arrival testing, arrival testing and move in, arrival quarantine, and the rules and rubric for the spring semester.
As you prepare to return to campus in a few days, I want to share some final reminders about move in and expectations for your return to campus. Please take some time to watch the video. I’ve also briefly outlined 4 important reminders below:
- Pre-arrival Test: Students moving in this weekend received a pre-arrival test, which you should have taken and shipped back to the testing company. If you have tested positive for COVID-19, Health Services will be in contact with you about when you will be able to return to campus.
- Arrival Testing and Move-in: Please be sure to report directly to Plank Gym on your scheduled day/time for your Arrival COVID-19 Test. You must complete your test before moving into your residence. After your test, you can pick up your room key and can begin to unpack your belongings. Only one person can help you to unpack your belongings and move you into your room, and that person cannot be another residential cohort student.
- Arrival Quarantine:
- Students will remain in Arrival Quarantine in their assigned rooms pending two negative tests after arrival. Your first test is your arrival test and your second test will be scheduled during the week of February 1.
- In support of Arrival Quarantine, the first week of classes will be held virtually and you can leave your room to grab food on campus, do your laundry, pick up your mail, and exercise alone.
- During Arrival Quarantine, students are not permitted in other students’ single rooms, and only students assigned to an apartment/suite/house are permitted in that space during Arrival Quarantine.
- If you do not comply with the first week of quarantine rules, you will be assigned to remote study. It is also important for you to know that two Gettysburg students in the residential cohort were re-assigned to remote study today for violating COVID-19 rules regarding Arrival Quarantine protocols.
- You will receive an email next week with instructions for exiting quarantine as we receive negative test results.
- Rules and Rubric: By deciding to return to campus, you have agreed to comply with the College’s COVID-19 rules and rubric. The revised rules and rubric were created in consultation with students with a focus on clarity of the rules and transparency of outcomes. Please note that enforcement of the rules will be increased from the fall. There are more stringent penalties for those violating the rules and students can expect the adjudication process to move quickly, given the health and safety implications. All students are required to complete COVID-19 pre-arrival education on EngageGettysburg by February 1, including a module on the rules and rubric.
I can’t emphasize enough the importance of adhering to the COVID-19 rules. As you arrive, you should expect to see increased enforcement of the COVID-19 rules by DPS, Residence Life, and other College staff on campus including in the residence halls.
Finally, please note that we are closely monitoring the opening of other colleges, some of which have seen significant increases in positive cases during the first weeks of the semester. We may have to make changes to our plans based on the virus and COVID-19 test results and will notify all students by email of any necessary adjustments.
Thank you in advance for doing your part to keep our community safe. We’ll see you soon.
Jeff Foster, D.Ed.
Interim Vice President for College Life and Dean of Students