Many resources are available to help you in your pursuit of a Japanese Studies major.
Japanese Language Table
Practice casual Japanese conversation at the Japanese Language Table! Bring your lunch and chat with other students and at least one native speaker over the lunch hour, everyTuesday 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. in the Atrium during the Spring 2019 semester. Go through the Dining Center using your ID and then sit at the reserved space in the Atrium. Note: outside food cannot be brought into the Atrium.
Japanese language resources
- Japanese language proficiency test. The Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) is a test for non-native speakers of Japanese which evaluates and certifies their Japanese-language proficiency.
- Japanese dictionary. Jisho is a powerful Japanese-English dictionary. It lets you find words, kanji, example sentences, and more--quickly and easily.
- Concentration games for Yookoso. This site has a number of online games to supplement our Japanese language textbook.
Gettysburg College is affiliated with two programs for studying abroad. Both universities offer instruction in Japanese language and a full range of courses on Japanese topics in English. Students may also choose to attend other universities in Japan.
Asian Student Alliance
The Asian Student Alliance at Gettysburg College strives to provide the campus with a community to discuss, exchange, and share Asian student interests, issues, and experiences.
Japan Club meets regularly to spread awareness and a sense of community by introducing its members to Japanese culture, products, and language.
The mission of the International Club is to promote a multicultural exchange of perspectives between international and American students, faculty, administrators, staff, and members of the local community.
Musselman Library Asian Art Collection
Includes some 2,000 objects from across Asia, ranging from approximately 1700 BCE to the 20th century.
Center for Career Engagement
The on-campus source for networking, internships, career counseling, and much more.
- What can I do with a B.A. in Japanese Studies? This blog began as a collective effort of Gettysburg College students who graduated with a B.A. in Japanese Studies, and has expanded to include bloggers from other institutions and companies who have been in the Japan field.
- JET Program After graduation, many Japanese majors and minors teach English in Japan. The JET program is highly respected. Representatives from JET come to Gettysburg College each fall.
Institutions and organizations