On this page:
THANK YOU FOR VISITING. REGISTRATION FOR THE JUNE 2023 CONFERENCE IS NOW CLOSED.
Join us, June 9-14, 2023, for an exciting lineup of CWI speakers! We are excited to feature leading Civil War scholars, Harold Holzer, Catherine Clinton, Craig Symonds, Caroline Janney, Lorien Foote, and more within our line-up of over 35 distinguished speakers and tour guides.
For nearly 40 years, the Civil War Institute at Gettysburg College has hosted a premiere annual summer conference bringing leading historians and public audiences together for lectures, battlefield tours, small group discussions, and roundtable conversations about the Civil War era. Sessions, lodging, and meals are held on the 200-acre college campus.
The 2023 CWI Conference will feature a wide range of topics, including Lincoln as Commander in Chief, the Civil War in Appalachia, Harriet Tubman, John Singleton Mosby, Confederate widowhood, retaliation in the American Civil War, the Army of Tennessee, and more.
In addition to touring the Gettysburg battlefield, participants will have the opportunity to visit a variety of other nearby battlefields and historic sites on tours that will explore Antietam and Harpers Ferry, or to combine a half-day of focused class work with a half-day out on the battlefield, exploring, in-depth, the actions on the 1st or 3rd day of battle at Gettysburg. Participants who may prefer a shorter, more physically active conference experience can also choose to sign up for our new “active track” package, featuring a combination of Friday and Saturday morning lectures and a day and a half of walking-intensive tours of the Gettysburg battlefield on Saturday and Sunday with historian Garry Adelman, exploring the First Day’s battlefield and the Union Fishhook, off the beaten path!
This conference will also continue the recently added Saturday evening tours of the Gettysburg battlefield discussing instances of surrender, the intersection of soldiers and civilians at a historic farm field hospital, and more; half-day Tuesday tours following in the footsteps of fallen commanders, as well as both “lunch-in” and “dine-in” discussions with CWI faculty.
The 2023 conference will offer something for everyone, from longtime students of the Civil War to those who are new to Civil War history.
Full Time (June 9-14, 2023)
- Tuition, Meal Plan, & On-Campus Lodging (Single Bedroom, Shared Suite): $1,025
- Tuition, Meal Plan, & On-Campus Lodging (Shared Bedroom, Suite-Style Residence Hall): $922.00
- Tuition with Meal Plan: $783.00
- Tuition Only: $643.00
Part Time (June 9-11, 2023)
- Tuition, Meal Plan, & On-Campus Lodging (Single Bedroom, Suite-Style Residence Hall): $678.00
- Tuition, Meal Plan, & On-Campus Lodging (Shared Bedroom, Suite-Style Residence Hall): $618.00
- Tuition with Meal Plan: $463.00
- Tuition Only: $391.00
**New: Family Lodging Options
- Tuition, Meal Plan, & On-Campus Family Lodging Suite (3-5 individuals, Single Bedroom, Shared Bathroom): $1,125.00 per person
- Tuition, Meal Plan, & On-Campus Family Lodging Suite (3-5 individuals, Single Bedroom, Shared Bathroom): $778.00 per person
**New: “Active Track” Package** (June 9-11, 2023)
(Friday and Saturday morning lectures, plus walking-intensive tours of the Gettysburg battlefield both Saturday afternoon and evening and all day Sunday)
“The First Day and the Union Fishhook at Gettysburg, off the Beaten Path”
- Tuition, Meal Plan, & On-Campus Lodging (Single Bedroom, Shared Suite): $728.00
- Tuition, Meal Plan, & On-Campus Lodging (Shared Bedroom, Suite-Style Residence Hall: $668.00
- Tuition with Meal Plan: $513.00
- Tuition Only: $441.00
- Tuition, Meal Plan, & On-Campus Family Lodging Suite (3-5 individuals, Single Bedroom, Shared Bathroom): $825.00 per person
Discounts & Official Partner Package Deals
Discounts are available for K-12 teachers, students age 18+, public historians, veterans/active duty members of the US Armed Forces, and Gettysburg College alumni. All individuals under 18 years of age qualify for half-price tuition. (Minors must be accompanied by an adult. Please see registration page for more details about this package).
**NEW THIS YEAR** For previous CWI conference attendees - We are excited to offer a 50% discount on your tuition if you bring along a first-time CWI-conference-goer to the June, 2023 conference! (May not be used in conjunction with any other discount; discount is void if new guest cancels. Please call CWI at 717-337-6590 for details).
We are also pleased to offer discounts to members of numerous partnering institutions, including:
- Civil War Round Tables
- Seminary Ridge Museum and Education Center
- Listeners of Civil War Talk Radio
- Readers of Regarp Book Blog
Be sure to also check out our NEW bundled registration package deals in conjunction with CWI’s official conference partners!
If you think you may qualify for any of the above discounts, please contact the CWI office at 717-337-6590 or email@example.com for the appropriate discount code. Discount codes may change yearly, so please be sure to call for the most up-to-date codes!