Musselman Library appreciates financial and in-kind gifts. Please review the guidelines on this page regarding donation of books, financial contributions and donation of rare and unique materials.
Book Donation Guidelines
The library accepts donations of books from members of the Gettysburg College community including but not limited to: faculty, staff, students, alumni, trustees that meet the following criteria:
- New or like new condition (no dust, dirt, mold, markings, highlighting, annotations, etc.)
- Hard cover or “trade” paperbacks only (no mass-market paperbacks)
- Not already in the library collection in print format
- Relevant to the current curriculum
- Appropriate content level for undergraduates
- English language or language currently taught at the college
We do NOT accept:
- General encyclopedias or reference sets
- Magazine or journal issues
- Media including cassettes, CDs, LPs, VHS tapes, and DVDs
- Music scores
Donations become the unconditional property of Musselman Library. Donors, their heirs, and/or their representative(s) waive all present and future rights relating to the donation, its use, and/or disposition. Gifts not added to the collection may be sold, donated to other libraries, or recycled at the library’s sole discretion.
Financial contributions support student internships as well as purchasing library materials and processing collections. Please visit Giving to Musselman Library to learn about the many ways to contribute financially to Musselman Library. The library accepts credit card payments and checks mailed to the following address:
300 North Washington Street
Campus Box 420
Gettysburg, PA 17325
Donations of Rare and Unique Materials
Please contact Special Collections and College Archives if you wish to donate rare books, personal papers, photographs, artifacts, or other special materials. Carolyn Sautter (email@example.com) will respond to any questions regarding donations of rare materials.
We welcome publications and personal papers of college alumni and faculty, in addition to material relating to the College's history and the local community. Email inquiries may be sent to the College Archivist, Amy Lucadamo (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Acknowledgement and Receipt of Gifts
Monetary appraisals and/or appraisal fees for gifts of materials to the library are the sole responsibility of the donor. The library recommends that donors consult appropriate U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) publications and/or consult financial or legal advisors.
Upon delivery or retrieval of a gift, the Musselman Library will issue a receipt of gift (PDF) that acknowledges the donation. Donors will also receive an acknowledgement from Gettysburg College. All documentation should be kept for tax purposes.
Some Options for Disposing of Used Books and Materials
- The Adams County Library System may accept donated books either to be added to their collection or to be sold in their Friends Book Store. Please check their policy regarding Book Donations for more information.
- Check with bookstores that specialize in used book sales regarding their individual policies.
- Better World Books maintains book donation dropboxes in various places. See their website for dropbox locations and policy on what they accept.
- “Glossy” publications only (magazines, catalogues, and annual reports) can be placed in collection bins to benefit the Ronald McDonald House charities of Central Pennsylvania. Details and location of bins are available on the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Pennsylvania website.
- Books that are well-worn, dusty, musty, heavily underlined, highlighted or annotated are typically only suitable for recycling and should be disposed of accordingly.