Danielle Phillips, Director of Residential & First-Year Programs, informs the campus community about departure details for the Fall 2020 semester.
I hope that this email finds you doing well and enjoying the crisper weather. Residential & First-Year Programs (RFYP) staff want to make sure that you have all of the details that you need to depart campus after in-person courses end for the semester on November 20. The following information provides reminders and follow-up details related to the information shared by Dean Ramsey on Friday, October 30 regarding Fall semester departure. Please keep in mind the following details:
- Residence Halls close at noon on Sunday, November 22. All students must vacate the halls on or before this time.
- When you leave campus, you must take all of your belongings with you and return your residence hall/room key(s) to RFYP. Similar to the move-in process, you are able to have one helper assist you with moving out. This helper must wear a mask and maintain physical distancing during the entirety of the time they are on campus.
- You cannot leave any belongings in your room after you depart campus. If you are unable to take all of your belongings with you, you can ship your belongings home, request on-campus storage, or make arrangements for storage at an off-campus storage facility. Please see Dean Ramsey’s email for more specific information about each option.
- Your key(s) can be returned directly to the RFYP Office in CUB 250 from 8:30am-noon and 1-5pm Monday through Friday or to DPS 24 hours/day. In order to avoid lock change charges to your student account for an unreturned key(s), please do not leave campus without turning in your key.
- Please note: If you reside at the Gettysburg Hotel, you can check out and return your room key to the front desk in the hotel lobby. You do not need to come to the RFYP Office or DPS to return your key.
- If you plan to leave campus prior to the end of in-person classes, you still need to make sure that you take all of your belongings with you, that no personal belongings are left in your room, and that you return your key(s) before departing campus as outlined above.
- If you are unable to depart campus prior to Sunday, November 22, at noon, you must fill out a petition to remain on campus and be approved. There is a late departure request process for students who cannot leave campus prior to November 22 but can leave campus prior to December 13. There is a separate winter break housing petition process for those who need to remain on campus after December 13. For more information and the links to these forms, please click here. Please note that the deadline to petition for late departure and break housing is this Friday, November 6.
- Students are being asked to avoid non-emergency travel from campus during the final two weeks of the fall semester (November 8-22). If you need to leave campus to go home, at this time, we request that you move out and study remotely, moving all belongings out and turning in your key, for the remainder of the semester. With increasing numbers of COVID-19 cases, we are asking this in order to limit the possibility of a member of the community being exposed to COVID-19 when travelling and to reduce the risk of other members of the community becoming infected.
- Final COVID-19 testing for this semester will be on November 16 or November 17. Students are expected to take a COVID-19 test before departing campus and to remain on campus until they have received a negative test result (likely November 18 or November 19). Students are strongly discouraged from leaving campus without a negative test result.
Thank you for paying attention to these details in order to make the move-out process as smooth as possible. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Good luck with the remainder of your academic semester, and be well.
Gettysburg College | Residential & First-Year Programs
300 North Washington Street | Gettysburg, PA 17325
College Union Building 250 | 717.337.6901