In citing these materials, please cite the full name of the collection and of Special Collections. Example: The Joe Brown Collections, Special Collections and College Archives/Musselman Library, Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. For additional examples, see our Citation Guide (PDF).
Rules of Use
- All materials are to be used only in the Reading Room.
- All outside researchers must present identification.
- No outer coats, briefcases, purses, book bags, binders, folders, or other such bulky items are permitted on the tables. Place your personal belongings in the lockers provided.
- Use pencil only; no pens permitted. Pencils and paper are available upon request.
- Laptops and tablets are allowed.
- Please silence cell phones.
- Each researcher is generally permitted one archival box or two books at a time from the holdings. Some materials are more tightly controlled, however. All original materials must be handled with great care and rest on the table at all times. Use only one box at a time. Remove only one folder at a time. Do not remove items from the folders. Preserve the established order of the materials in manuscript collections.
- Do not place note paper on books or manuscripts when taking notes. No existing marks may be erased. Uncut pages in books should be shown to the staff, do not attempt to open them yourself.
- Researchers are held responsible for all material charged to them. Material may not be transferred from one researcher to another.
- Tobacco, food, chewing gum, cough drops, and beverages are not permitted in the Reading Room.
- Photography is permitted on a case-by-case basis.
- Requests for photocopies, photographs, and slides are considered by the staff, in accordance with Special Collections’ reproduction policy. Special Collections will not reproduce entire collections or large portions of them and reserves the right to refuse to copy items that are fragile or which in any way may be damaged by copying. Copies are provided for patrons' personal research needs and should not be placed in another institution. Items to be copied should not be removed from the folder. Ask for a supply of markers from a staff member.
- In citing these materials, please cite the full name of the collection and of Special Collections. Example: The Joe Brown Collections, Special Collections/Musselman Library, Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. For additional examples, see our Citation Guide (PDF).
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to secure permission to publish material in Special Collections.
- Before leaving, researchers must return all materials to the staff. In cases where use will be continuing, materials may be placed on reserve. Researchers should begin preparing to leave fifteen minutes before closing time.
- As a reminder, Special Collections is under video surveillance for security purposes.