Abou B. Bamba teaches Africa-related courses in the Africana Studies program and the History Department. His advanced courses include, among others, AFS: 375: Aid and Volunteering in Africa, HIST 371: Modern African Environments, HIST 376: France & Sub-Saharan Africa in Global Context, and HIST 413: Decolonization in Africa & Beyond.
Originally from Ivory Coast, Prof. Bamba was fascinated by foreign cultures early on. This interest initially led him to concentrate on the study of foreign languages (English and Spanish) in college. Subsequently, he earned a Master's degree in American Studies from the Université d’Abidjan-Cocody, a certificate in Geographic Information Science, and a PhD in History, both from Georgia State University.
Prof. Bamba's current research focuses on post-1945 transnational history of modernization, migration, and the search for the "good life".
- African Miracle, African Mirage: Transnational Politics and the Paradox of Modernization in Ivory Coast. Athens, OH: Ohio University Press, 2016.
- “Conspicuous, Yet Invisible: Whiteness, Migration, and the French Residents of Ivory Coast, 1950-1985.” Journal of Modern European History 13, 4 (2015): 549-565.
- “An Unconventional Challenge to Apartheid: The Ivorian Dialogue Diplomacy with South Africa, 1960-1978.” International Journal of African Historical Studies 47, 1 (2014): 77-99.
- “Transnationalising Decolonisation: The Print Media, American Public Spheres, and France’s Imperial Exit in West Africa.” Journal of Transatlantic Studies 11, 4 (Fall 2013): 327-49.
- “At the Edge of the Modern? Diplomacy, Public Relations, and Media Practices during Houphouët-Boigny’s 1962 Visit to the U.S.” Diplomacy & Statecraft 22, 2 (Summer 2011): 219-238.
- “Mémoires épistémiques et pouvoir d’experts dans une postcolonie africaine: Le cas de l’usage des savoirs africanistes par l’ORSTOM en Côte d’Ivoire.” Canadian Journal of African Studies 44, 1 (Summer 2010): 1-34.
- “Rebirth of a Strategic Continent? Problematizing Africa as a Geostrategic Zone.” African Geographical Review 29, 1 (June 2010): 91-100.
- “Qu'est-ce que la postcolonie? Contribution à un débat francophone trop afrocentré.” Africa Review of Books 2, 1 (March 2006): 16-17.
Abou B. Bamba
Associate Professor, History
Phone: (717) 337 - 6566
Box: Campus Box 0401
300 North Washington St.
Gettysburg, PA 17325-1400
PhD Georgia State University, 2008
MA Universite d'Abidjan-Cocody, 1996
BA Universite d'Abidjan-Cocody, 1995