Sharing your experience via Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, blogs, and other platforms can be a useful way to easily convey your global experiences to your family and friends back home but should be done so respectfully and safely.
Many of your family and friends' only knowledge and experience of your host country will be through what you share with them. When taking or sharing pictures remember that you are not only an ambassador of your home country and Gettysburg College but also an ambassador of your host country back to Gettysburg.
Try to avoid pictures that depict stereotypes or cliches or that are exploitative of your host culture. Always remember to be respectful. Your experience is complex, challenging, and unique - take pictures that show the world what your experience is truly like.
Remember to take pictures of your daily life. Every student has a picture in front of that iconic building or landscape but you should take pictures with your host family, your favorite cafe or coffee shop, and the places you study.
Remember to participate in the CGE Instagram Scavenger Hunt!
Do you have a picture from studying globally that can win our photo contest? The Center for Global Education invites you to submit photos that capture your global semester.
Guidelines for Photos
1. You may submit a total of three photos to any of the following three categories. Each photo must include a short description and explanation of its significance to your experience:
- Global “Classroom” - Photo(s) should be of you and/or your classmates learning abroad. Pictures can be of the classroom experience, program-related excursions or field trips, during cultural events/activities, or engaging with the local culture in your host country.
- Postcard Picture – Show us your best picture from your semester
- “The Essence of your Experience” – This picture should represent your experience throughout the semester spent in your host city.
2. Please send pictures to email@example.com with “Photo Contest” in the subject line (the files must be full resolution files that are typically more than 1 Mb; not from Instagram or Facebook).
3. Deadlines will be announced by email.
4. When submitting your photos please include your name, where you studied, a title for your photo, what category you are entering your photo in, and a short description and explanation for each photo. We would love if you would also write the title and explanation in the language of your host country!
5. The photo(s) must have been taken while studying globally on an approved Gettysburg College semester program.
6. By submitting your photo, you are giving permission for our office to publicly show and use your photo(s) and likeness.
Strong photos will be those that convey a unique viewpoint of yourself as student and photographer. Check out our Instagram to see what a good picture looks like!