On August 16, 2022, President Iuliano welcomes the campus community for the start of the 2022–2023 Academic Year.
August 16, 2022
I hope you’ve had a wonderful and restorative summer with family and friends. In recent conversations, so many of you have reflected on how this summer has allowed for a return to rhythms that haven’t been possible the last two years. It’s been such a welcome and well-earned development!
A different and more enduring rhythm is that of the academic cycle. In just a couple of days, we will greet an inspiring new class of students. It is a class of tremendous promise. It is also a class that features our largest cohort of international students in the College’s history—a testament to our growing reputation globally.
The enrollment of such a talented and diverse group of first-years speaks powerfully to the mission, values, and character of this community. Together, we provide among the most personal and student-centered educational experiences in the entire nation. Of course, this doesn’t just happen. It is the product of countless choices we make every day—choices that put our students first and cultivate in them the knowledge and skills to become the leaders our world needs.
I am deeply grateful for your belief in our students and your commitment to our distinctive approach to the liberal arts and sciences. The transformative education we provide our students, both in and out of the classroom, happens only because of your unique contributions to this College. Thank you!
As we embark on a new academic year, I ask that we reflect on the enduring importance of our educational mission. We urge our students to “engage the complex questions of our time through effective leadership and socially responsible citizenship.” As our society and world confront generationally defining challenges, what we do here has never been more important. For me, that mission, and the opportunity to advance it with the members of this special community, is inspiring—and has me looking forward to the year ahead.
As we spoke about last spring, we have a rare confluence of factors now converging—factors that, if capitalized on, will advance our mission, build upon our most recent accomplishments, and deepen our reputation as one of the country’s premier undergraduate institutions.
* We will elevate our education through the rollout and early implementation of our strategic plan.
* We have long delivered an unparalleled academic experience, and the Faculty will continue its careful study of what a contemporary, liberal arts curriculum at Gettysburg College should require.
* We will create a more vibrant and welcoming campus environment by committing to our diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) priorities.
* We will support a more intentional and holistic approach to student well-being through our Center for Student Success and new innovations within College Life.
* We will help to strengthen American democracy by offering dynamic programming that empowers civic engagement and teaches students how to effectively navigate difference.
* And, I am confident that in response to President Lincoln’s call to advance the “unfinished work,” we will together rise to the gravity of this moment and provide A Consequential Education to our students.
It is bound to be an exciting and impactful year for Gettysburg College—and we are so fortunate to welcome a number of new faculty, administrators, and staff to our community to help bring this important work to fruition. I’d encourage you to connect with one another and to join me for this year’s Orientation events, to attend the Opening Reception at the President’s House on September 1, and to participate in our back-to-back Orange and Blue Days on Friday, August 26, and Friday, September 2. Lastly, be sure to attend Ovation: A Celebration of Creative and Scholarly Works by Gettysburg College Faculty and Staff, hosted by Musselman Library on Friday, September 23. It is a perfect opportunity to support and celebrate our fellow colleagues.
This, indeed, is a special community. I look forward to the great work we will achieve together in the year ahead.