Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I go to if I want to file a complaint?
You should go to the Department of Public Safety (DPS) to file an official/formal complaint. DPS will contact the police on your behalf. If you are looking to talk to someone without filing a formal complaint, Counseling Services is the outlet for a confidential report.

Does the complaint remain confidential?
Information is handled sensitively and we attempt to maintain privacy, but as the situation will be investigated, confidentiality cannot be maintained.

Will my parents be told?
We will not inform parents without your consent. However, please keep your health insurance in mind, as we have had cases where parents are notified by the hospital if treatment is sought out.

Where can I find support and will I have to pay for it?
You can find support through Counseling Services, the Chaplain’s Office, and the Women’s Center. There is no charge for any of these services.

What happens if I file a formal complaint?
The Title IX Director or Director of Student Rights and Responsibilities will contact you to see how you are, connect you with resources (such as counseling and academic advising), and find out what role you would like to play in the conduct process once the police (if involved) have turned the case over to the Department of Public Safety (DPS). The police follow-up and investigate unless you (the victim) sign a refusal to prosecute form. Once the police department has a few days to develop an investigation, DPS will follow-up and submit a report to the Title IX Director and Vice President for College Life and Dean of Students for review.

Will I be punished when reporting a sexual misconduct violation if I was using drugs or alcohol?

Can I have an attorney help me with the complaint?
Yes. However, while the attorney or advisor of your choice can be present during an interview or hearing, the attorney/advisor cannot speak in the interview or hearing process.

Can I file a criminal complaint at the same time I file a complaint with the College?

Will my complaint be investigated if I initiated physical contact but didn’t consent to having sex?

What happens if I am reporting on behalf of a friend who does not want to come forward?
Ideally, before coming forward you should try to explain to your friend all of the benefits of coming forward. Most importantly, explain your concern and that by coming forward we can help. If you cannot get them to come forward, we would still attempt to contact that friend for an interview and have them sign our refusal to participate in the conduct process form. Regardless of what happens, you will know that you have done the right thing for your friend.