Work On Campus

Gettysburg College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Student Employment Services provides students opportunities to build the enduring skills that are most valued by employers (internal/external) and graduate schools.

National Student Employment Week

Each year colleges and universities across the country recognize the importance of the student work experience. On our campus, student employees perform invaluable services with enthusiasm, dedication, and initiative. We depend on the contributions of a reliable student workforce for the efficient operation of our campus.

Student Employment Services invites offices and academic departments to submit nominations for Student Employee of the Year! Nominees must be a current Gettysburg College undergraduate student who is/was employed in an on campus office/department during this academic year (August 2023-March 2024). Anyone who works directly with the student nominee may sumbit a nomination. Student Employment Services will recognize the winners on our Instagram account (@gburgcareer) during National Student Employment Appreciation Week, April 7th-14th, 2024!

As part of the process, your supervisor will be asked to rank you on your ability to demonstrate the following enduring skills: Communication, Problem Solving, Intercultural Fluency, Leadership, Teamwork, Adaptability, and Creativity.

Student Employment Services will be accepting nominations on a rolling basis. The nomination form will be open from August 2023 until March 1st, 2024.

Check out last year's winners, Riya Ou '23, Cameron Jury '23, and Meghan Clark '23.


When do campus jobs usually get posted in Handshake?

Most offices/departments will post openings during the beginning and end of each semester. August/September, November, January/February, and April tend to be peak times of the year when positions are posted in Handshake. However, postings can be listed throughout the calendar year. Make sure to check Handshake frequently for new positions.

How do I find student employment opportunities on campus?

Students interested in working on campus should log in to their Handshake account and search for on-campus positions. Once in Handshake, click on "Jobs" and "All Filters". Select "On Campus" and "Show Results". All student employment positions are listed under the employer "Gettysburg College - Student Employment & Experiential Opportunities" to streamline accessibility to on campus positions.

How do I apply to student employment opportunities on campus?

Make sure to follow all of the instructions in the application. If you need assistance with the application process or the required documents, there are several options: 1) refer to the resources in Handshake on how to create a resume or cover letter, 2) come to Drop-In hours Monday-Friday from 2pm-4pm, or 3) make an appointment in Handshake with one of the Career Counselors.

What are Federal Work Study positions?

Positions that specifically state Work Study are only open to students who are eligible for a Federal Work Study award through Financial Aid. If you have a question about your Work Study award, please contact your Financial Aid Advisor.

I have accepted a campus position, now what?

Congratulations! It is time to start the hiring process. First, you will need to complete the hiring paperwork through DocuSign . Make sure to choose the link based on your home state of residence. International students will choose the link designated "International Students".

Students will also need to arrange a “Student Employment Paperwork” appointment with our staff to verify your I-9. Original, unexpired work authorization and identification documents will be required. You can find the list of acceptable documents in the electronic hiring paperwork, or visit the U.S.C.I.S. website.

International students will need to bring the following documents with them to their appointment: Visa/Passport, I-20, and an I-94 Travel History.

Where do I find my bank routing number for the direct deposit form?

The routing number is the first set of numbers located on the bottom left-hand corner of your check. If you do not have a check, contact your bank.

Can I provide a photocopy of my ID or other document for hiring paperwork purposes?

No. Federal regulations stipulate that only original, unexpired documents can be accepted and the documents must be verified in-person with the individual employee. Gettysburg College does not partitipate in E-Verify.

How many hours can I work?

Given the rigorous academics at Gettysburg College, most students work an average of 10-15 hours/week. International students are limited to 20 hours/week when classes are in session due to immigration visa requirements for all jobs combined. All students are permitted to work up to 40 hours a week during breaks.

How often will I be paid?

Student employees are paid every two weeks via direct deposit. Your direct deposit statements can be found in your Student Center. Pay schedules are available on the Payroll website.

Can some of my paycheck be automatically applied to my student account?

Yes. You have the option to apply a portion or all of your pay to your student account. A special Student Payroll-Student Account direct deposit form must be submitted. The form can be obtained from Payroll by emailing

I am an international student. Do I need a Social Security number?

Yes. All international students who plan to work must apply for a social security number but may complete the payroll paperwork without it. Career Engagement will notify International Student Services (ISS) and the Payroll Office after the completion of your hiring paperwork. You will then coordinate with the ISS office to schedule your visit to the Social Security Administration office to obtain your card.

Once you receive your card, by mail, you will take it to the Registrar's Office to have them input it into your Student Account. After you complete that step, please stop by the Center for Career Engagement to let us know. This will prompt any additional tax documents to be sent to you for completion by the Payroll Office.

How do I record my hours for payroll purposes?

Your supervisor will create your time sheet in CNAV for you once all of your hiring paperwork is completed. It is important that you correctly fill out your time sheet by the deadline. Instructions for completing your time sheet are included in the hiring paperwork packet. Students should log their hours after each completed shift. CNAV Time Sheets Manual for Students .

What are the deadlines for submitting timesheets?

Time sheets need to be submitted at the end of the student pay period (always on a Friday). Pay schedules are available on the Payroll website.