Jeff Foster, Dean of Students, and Darrien Davenport, Assistant VP of College Life, share this week’s COVID status and reminders about testing, travel, visitors, vaccines, and symptom monitoring.
Dear Campus Community,
Every Friday, we will send an email directing you to the College’s COVID-19 dashboard.
The College continues to operate at a moderate alert level. Please note that based on a number of current conditions, including the campus positivity rate and local conditions, the College could change the alert level or enact increased mitigation strategies. The campus community will be notified immediately if the alert level changes and if new mitigation strategies have been enacted.
Below are reminders and updates for the days ahead:
- Testing: Students are required to test two times per week. By now, the schedule should be familiar to you: Tuesday/Saturday or Wednesday/Saturday. Testing is one of the most important mitigations strategies we employ as an institution against the spread of the virus. Thank you for your continued compliance in this essential area.
- Travel: Students who would like to travel outside of the 5-mile radius of Gettysburg College for extenuating circumstances must submit a request for approval through engageGettysburg. It is important to note that any student approved to travel who does not return within 24 hours will need to quarantine upon their arrival until they receive 2 negative COVID-19 tests. Details can be found on the College’s website.
- Visitors: As a reminder, the only visitors allowed on campus at this time are those who are on campus to support the academic, administrative, or residential missions of the College. This means that students may not have any visitors on campus, including family members, who do not fulfill this criterion. Additionally, students studying remotely from their home residence may not come to campus without permission. More information about visitors can be found on the College’s website.
Other non-student visitors must be approved in advance by an Academic Department Chair, Director, or Vice President and will be asked to follow all federal, state, and local protocols, as noted on campus signage. Children are discouraged from visiting campus buildings or facilities.
- Vaccine Guidance: The Centers for Disease Control announced new guidance for people who have received the vaccine. Please read the email from March 9 that details important reminders on this topic. Remember that even if you have been vaccinated for COVID-19, you still must follow the safety protocols that are in place, including wearing a mask, physically distancing, and participating in the College’s testing protocols.
- Symptom Monitoring: Please remember that students are required to conduct and record daily symptom monitoring through the Medicat portal.
Thank you for your continued cooperation this spring semester. If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jeff Foster, D.Ed.
Interim Vice President for College Life and Dean of Students
Darrien Davenport, Ed.D.
Assistant Secretary to the BOT/Assistant Vice President of College Life