Welcome, new parents and families!
This information will help to get your Gettysburg College experience off to a great start. You can also find additional resources on our Parents and Families page. Be sure to check back on this website for updates.
Opening Day: Move In and Orientation
Students will move into their Residence Halls on Wednesday, August 23rd, with Orientation programming beginning that afternoon. We welcome parents and family members to join us on campus for the day!
- You can view the Opening Day schedule on the Schedule page of the Orientation website.
- Sessions for parents and family members are designated with an *. Sessions without an * are for students only.
- You will have the morning to spend with your student to get them settled into their residence hall.
- Programming will begin at 1:00 PM – students will meet up with their Orientation group, and parents and family members will attend programming in the CUB Ballroom.
- You will be reunited with your student following Convocation at approximately 5:00 PM for the “Farewell to Families”. Following the Farewell is when most parents and families begin their trip home.
- Students will have Orientation programming to attend through the weekend, with classes starting Monday, August 28th.
If your student is part of an early arrival group (fall student-athletes, marching band, pre-orientation program, etc.), you are welcome to return to campus for Opening Day. We would encourage you to make arrangements with your student, as they likely have gotten into their new routines.
If your student is a commuter student, you are invited to join us for Opening Day as well! Please see the Schedule page for additional information.
Hosted by the Office of Parent Relations, Welcome Gatherings are a way for members of the Class of 2027, new transfer students, and their families to connect with other Gettysburg families in their area. Welcome Gatherings are organized geographically, and you may choose to participate in a Gathering that best fits your schedule and location!
At our Welcome Gatherings, you can expect to:
- Meet other Class of 2027 and new transfer student families, as well as members of the College staff
- Learn helpful information about the college transition and student experience at Gettysburg
- Ask questions!
We request that you register at least three days in advance of the event(s) you plan to attend. To view the list of Welcoming Gatherings and to register, please click here.
Opportunities to connect
- Have Gettysburg News delivered via email
- Become a fan of Gettysburg College on Facebook
- Follow Gettysburg College on Twitter and Instagram
- Join the Gettysburg College Professional Network on LinkedIn and follow Gettysburg College