Prospective students for the Bachelor of Music in Performance, Bachelor of Music Education, Bachelor of Arts in Music, and Music Minor programs must interview with a member of the conservatory faculty and submit a video recording for their audition in their performance area. Students who are interested in the music minor may elect to audition after they arrive on campus. Before an interview is scheduled or a recording is submitted, students must submit the Music Profile Form.
Virtual meetings and private lessons with faculty may be requested by emailing Lisa Graham-Herrick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions, please contact Dr. Amanda Heim, Coordinator of Outreach Recruitment at email@example.com.
Audition Recording Requirements
Auditions will include a performance on your primary instrument/voice and an evaluation of basic skills in written and aural theory and sight-singing.
All applicants must:
- Complete their Gettysburg College application (Common Application) which will then give them access to their student applicant portal within 24 hours of submission.
- Submit a video recording through the Gettysburg College applicant portal which is now live. Instrumentalists should also include scales if required by their area.
- Complete a virtual interview with a faculty member. Your interviewer will also ask you to sight-read/sing a brief piece on your instrument or voice part.
- Demonstrate aural skills by vocally matching pitches, singing simple intervals, identifying major and minor chords, and sight singing a simple song.
- Complete a brief music theory assessment which will be administered electronically in the applicant portal. Learn more about what is covered in the music theory assessment.
- The faculty interview and aural skills assessment will be held by individual appointment. Scheduling should be done through the applicant portal.
For information specific to your instrument or voice part, please click on the appropriate link to the left.
Students who are interested in a jazz focus must perform BOTH the audition requirements for their specific instrument AND those for the jazz focus.
Tips for a Successful Audition Recording