All students interested in a jazz focus must perform all of the audition requirements listed under their specific instrument as well as the requirements found on this page.
- All auditionees (except drum set) - perform two major scales and two Dorian modes across a two-octave range chosen from keys up to four sharps and flats (swing eighth notes at quarter note = 140).
- All auditionees (except drum set) should utilize the etude book, Jazz Conception by Jim Snidero (Advance Music/Kendor)
- Perform the etude ROSE from Jazz Conception
- Improvise one chorus on ROSE changes and two choruses of F concert Blues.
- Perform a second selection of your choice.
Piano and Guitar
- Comp changes on the etude GROOVE BLUES from Jazz Conception.
- Perform a second selection of your choice that includes improvisation.
- Walk two choruses of F concert Blues in a moderate swing style.
- perform the etude A DOLL from Jazz Conception using two-beat and four-beat walking patterns.
- Improvise one chorus of GROOVE BLUES from Jazz Conception.
- perform a second selection of your choice.
- Demonstrate four styles — moderate swing, Bossa Nova, ballad, and funk.
- Perform a four bar fill in a moderate swing style.
To schedule a meeting or private lesson with a faculty member, please contact Ms. Lisa Graham-Herrick at email@example.com or 717-337-6239. For all other inquiries regarding the music program and audition requirements, please contact Dr. Amanda Heim at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-337-6146.