We are glad that you are considering a return to Gettysburg College after your Wellness Leave of Absence. We are here to assist you through the process of applying to return. The information we receive as well as your ability to manage the process are an important part of determining your readiness to take on the rigors of residential study again. Your application to return will be strongest if you are the person contacting us with questions, rather than your parents or other representatives. Please note that while we carefully consider recommendations from your care providers, we make our decisions independently and in accordance with all available information and expertise. Thus positive recommendations for re-admittance from your care provider(s) do not guarantee your readmission.
We are looking for you to demonstrate that you understand the issues that led you to leave the College and that you have addressed/resolved these issues. Customarily, this process involves receiving psychological and/or psychiatric care while you are away from the College. If you decline such services, you must discuss your situation with the Director of Counseling and Wellness at the outset of your leave/withdrawal and receive approval at that point for an alternative plan.
We will be communicating with you via email. Please be sure to check your email regularly. If you have any questions, please call Counseling and Wellness Services at 717-337-6960.
IMPORTANT: You must complete the following steps in accordance with the timeline listed to be considered for return to the College after a wellness leave/withdrawal. Not completing any step in a timely fashion may compromise your petition to return and thus may delay your being approved to resume study at Gettysburg College.
- If you have not done so already, please notify the The Center for Student Success of your intent to apply for return to the college.
- Contact the Office of Counseling and Wellness via email (email@example.com) to establish that you are currently taking a leave and plan to return. This should happen within three weeks of beginning your leave from the college.
- The Office of Counseling and Wellness will schedule a phone appointment with you to discuss the process and timeline for a return approval. This will allow us to send you the necessary paperwork to begin that process.
- All return paperwork must be complete and submitted by June 1 for return in the fall semester, and by December 1 for return in the spring semester. Please note that you must receive approval/clearance from the Director of Counseling and Wellness Services before you can register for classes in the semester that you are returning. It is, therefore, imperative that all required material is received in a timely manner. If you plan to pre-register, please plan to submit your materials well in advance of the pre-registration date.
- Finally, please note that completion of all these requirements does not guarantee your return back to campus.